Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Forums no longer in use > Suggestions for Comprehensive Review of Public Expenditure

Old 04-03-2009, 01:27 PM
rabbit

Default How many embassies do we really need ?

How many embassies do we have ? Do we really need one in each of those countries which hope to join the EC ? What does our embassy and its staff achieve for us in Tehran ? Our national population is the same as a decent size city. Its only double that which turned out to see Obama in Washington. Yet how many politicians do we support...t'is way out of line.. We have little or no home grown industry. Our industry is farming....but yet many of us drive to another jurisdiction to spend our borrowed money on foodstuffs each week. Witness the shopping trolloys in border counties.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Re: How many embassies do we really need ?

There is an EU rule that all member states must have an embassy in each other member state and all candidates for joining.

I agree that there are too many embassies around the world. We could do without the following quite easily:

Egypt
Ethopia
Holy See
Iran
Korea
Lesotho
Mozambique
Singapore Or Malaysia
Tanzania
Uganda
Zambia
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Frequent Poster

The purpose of the the diplomatic mission abroad is to represent the government, negotiation, consular services, information gathering, among other things.Is it not useful to be represented in as many countries as will allow an embassy there?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Frequent Poster

Thats all very well, but its a luxury - we cant afford to pay it. There would be very little wourk in the way of consular services in most of those countries and very little need for government representation. Information is gathered and shared on an EU basis by all members states - our absence would not mean we miss out on anything, not that much of the information on most of these countries would be off much use to us anyway.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
Korea
Singapore
Malaysia
Major countries in both knowledge economy and manufacturing. We need more links with these types of countries, not fewer.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
SpagMonster

Do we really need an Embassy in Italy (Rome) and the Holy see?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Frequent Poster

csirl, I see one of the countries you have listed, Iran, saying there is no need to be there, I believe there is every need. Are they not working on nuclear weapons? or so it's reported.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Frequent Poster

What if you were an Irish person in those countries, and needed help?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallows View Post
csirl, I see one of the countries you have listed, Iran, saying there is no need to be there, I believe there is every need. Are they not working on nuclear weapons? or so it's reported.
why?, I can't see the Ayatollahs saying "ok, we won't blow Israel back to the stone age" because the Irish ambassador asked them to

There needs to be a point to an embassy, either where there is a significant ex-pat population or where there is a legitimate business or security reason for us having an embassy there. No disrespect to Lesotho but I can't see that meeting either criteria. Surely an honoury consol could cover off most of the embassy role
Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
BeanPole

We don't need a Foreign Service at all.

In the e-world, much of this data collection could be done through desk research in Ireland (or outsourced to an external provider lower cost location such as Mumbai), while the interests of Irish citizens could be handled through another European embassy. This already happens for instance in Dubai, where the UK embassy looks after Irish citizens in distress.

The other big issue is the huge allowances these guys get overseas, they are far in excess of the levels being paid to their overseas civil servants.

Apologies that I have only come across this thread now. I have started a duplicate here that could be closed:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=118870
Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 PM
sunrock

We do need an embassy in tehran.Its quite a big country and as relations with iran between the u.k. and the u.s. are quite tense we have or could have a role to play.
Of course we could scale down some of our embassies or pool the activities with the u.k. for example.also to reduce expenses and salaries for our consular staff.
By the way how does one become an ambassador or is it purely a political appointee.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreA View Post
What if you were an Irish person in those countries, and needed help?

You head along to the Embassy of another EU state. Posters should note in the ABSN report it is recommended that the Network of Embassies reduced form 76 to 55. Also proposed is a Reduction of grade for majority of Ambassadors from Assistant Secretary to Principal Officer.
Old 14-11-2011, 01:07 PM
daithimacgro

We don't need one in Hong Kong anymore either, it's part of China now last time i heard.

note: this hong kong consulate only serves Irish people in HK, Irish people in the South of China, even a few km's from Hong Kong must go to Shanghai or Beijing for consulate services.

so it should be done away with as a city of only 6 million has no need for an irish embassy