Jim Langan's furniture gone bust

kerrybiffo

A friend just rang to tell me that Jim Langans's furniture has gone bust. Anybody able to confirm or deny that ?

I paid €2k deposit on a €4K order in January and am waiting on delivery. What are my rights if the rumours are true ? Will I be able to get my deposit back ?

thanks

Re: Anyone hear that Jim Langan's furniture has gone bust ?

If you paid by credit card (always advisable in these times!), then you can claim the money back from your credit card company. Otherwise you could be potentially in trouble. You need to find out some more information.

I did pay by cc alright. Thanks for giving me some potentially good news.

Customers featured on Liveline today, some reported getting their goods, others didn't with deposits paid. One lady reported that suppliers removed goods from the shops, staff wages not paid. Jim Langan jnr. issued a statement to the programme saying they had been advised by their auditors / accountants to close the shops, that they had tried to raise funds from banks and failed and that the business (3 shops and a warehouse) had ceased.

Last week they had a huge marquee in Liffey Valley and were selling off stock, so am not surprised.

On Sunday in Liffey Valley they were selling at quite attractive prices but not taking deposits, Staff told potential Customers that it was a weekend special to waive the deposit. Possibley they were hoping to have an attractive order book / sales to appease their Bank and keep afloat?

Yesterday we were over in Liffey and spotted the Garda at Jim Langans speaking to what looked like the Manager outside! Looks like a customer may have had a word or two to say.

paid in full back in December and still have not received delivery, called to store in feb and given flimsy excuse of factory in china closed for 2 weeks in Jan so order delayed, had a feeling this news was on the way, paid by lazor does anyone know if lazor covered by bank charge back scheme? Had just received reducdancy payment in december so decided to pay up front, feels like a double blow!

Because Laser is a Debit Card and the money is debited from your account straight away, I do not think you are afforded the same protection as Credit Card.

Get onto your Bank straight away and get an update!

I am so annoyed i paid 850 euro in full six weeks ago,i rang them yesterday to see if my item had arrived as they said i could pick it up in carrickmines.I rang them only yesterday, and the girl told me it was just in but to leave it until today to collect and now its gone!!!! does anybody know if theres a way of getting your product or money back????? ( i paid with one for all vouchers mostly and balance with credit card) ):

Thanks Manda C was thinking the same myself, will get on to bank first thing.
The national consumer agency states the following on its website so im living in hope!

If possible, pay by credit card or by laser card. If your card-issuer operates a chargeback scheme, you may be able to recover money paid to a trader who has gone out of business

Will post how I get on as im sure there are more JL victims out there!

Hopefully it will work it out and you can get your money back. Credit Card chargeback, yes, Laser questionable!

rang my bank this evening. Cannot go through the charge back process until we first get official statement from Langan's that they are not paying their creditors. anybody know if a receiver has been appointed yet ?

your bank are on the ball kerrybifo, mine didnt have a clue what I was talking about and told me to ring my branch in the morning, hope starting to fade!

I have a very close friend that works in this store he has told me that another large irish store is due to go bang next week. Anyone who has paid for goods with cash or laser has very slim chance of getting money back. Don't buy furniture anywhere for a while. I presume I can't name the shop here.....

I was on to Classic Furniture on Sunday and the girl told me they were in recieversip also.

22 employees and so far no official statement from senoir management.
Staff were only told yesterday to close the doors and knew nothing of what was going on. If they didn't take your money they probably did you a favour !

Warehouse clearance sales were normal and were held twice a year by the company for the past four or five years.

As far as I am aware Customers that paid by credit card are covered, just have to wait for the company to appoint a liquidator/ receiver. Should be in the next few days. I don't think laser has that same guarantee.

Classic Furniture are currently in receivership/ administration and looking for someone to buy the company.

I have heard that as a company they were very good to work for, it is very sad for all customers affected and for the staff that have been left jobless. :(

The white marque in Langan's Liffey Valley is I would think a relatively new development. I certainly dont recall them at Liffey Valley branch. I think it sprang up first about this time last year and there have been three or so of these sell outs (probably about the same time the economy started dipping)

JL's were very expensive for what they sold. I was looking for a mango coffee table/unit and tv unit. I priced these in Langans and they were €500 dearer than the supplier I ended up with. They also wanted to charge me €75 delivery! At the time in the furniture trade there were rumours then about a couple of bigger stores in trouble (mentioned JL's and Classic and Land of Leather - now gone) Although I did not want to name names as they were unsubstianted rumours at the time, I did post a warning on this website advising people to pay for their large purchases by CC.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=100468

I would now write officially to the Liquidator(when appointed) and enclose a photocopy of my Letter. Would also CC a copy of that letter to the Chargeback dept. of credit card. Thats how I got my money back from Rocca Tiles years ago.

hi i also was due to recieve a delivery of a new sofa 1600euro and 1300 of it was paid by credit card lucky enough was onto credit card company yesterday there has been a liquidator appointed and shoule here something in next few days he said usually through the web site so keep watching

Back