Tenant looking for new bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulsgirl

Hi,

I've recently got new tenants and they are looking for a new bed. The bed is two years old thats there but one of them says they have a bad back and that the bed is worn. They offered to buy the bed and reduce it from the rent which I'm not comfortable doing as the bed could cost any amount.

If I replace it, it will be with a very standard bed from Desk Kelly or the like so the same as whats there.

Is it reasonable for them to ask for a bed after only a week of living there? And is unreasonable for me not to buy a new one?

Some people don't like sleeping on second hand beds so their request may come from a desire to have a fresh clean one.

It's not an unreasonable request as such, neither is your viewpoint that the bed is only two years old. However, in the current climate I'd be wanting to keep the tenant happy but not let them think you're a pushover.

Perhaps a new mattress? you can get orthopedic one's fairly cheaply but make it clear this wasn't part of the contract they agreed and it's a goodwill gesture.

Also, make it clear that buying something and reducing it from the rent is a "no-no", if you don't knock that idea on the head at the start there's no saying where it could end up.

I hate cheap mattresss myself but it's all I'll put in rental property. My answer to this would be let the tenant purchase the mattrress himself and agree to repay him the cost of the mattress if they stay a minimum of two years. You'll need to agree a max price. Do not link it to the rent.

If the mattress is worn (even after two years) then you should just replace it.

Thanks for your replies.

Not sure I'll even want them there for two years!

When we checked the apartment after the last tenants left, we certainly didn't notice the bed in any worn state and I keep the apartment in a very good condition.

Maybe the best thing to do is just buy them a new mattress. They can't really expect anything but a box standard mattress in a rental property. I know I wouldn't.

I think I just got spoilt with the last tenants I had, they were fantastic.

We'll see how it goes but I wouldn't wish to tie myself to them for two years over a mattress.

Thanks for your help with this.

Hi
Our tenant was looking for a new bed - she bought it herself and it is hers to take when she leaves.
We dumped the old one.
HTH

Hi
Our tenant was looking for a new bed - she bought it herself and it is hers to take when she leaves.
We dumped the old one.
HTH

If you have a bad back, they'll need a mattress all the time. Why would they not just buy their own and bring it with them.

I'd have no problem buying a new cheap mattress. But if anything beyond that they can get it themselves.

Great thanks. I've replied offering a new mattress so we'll see what they say. Thanks a mil for your suggestions.

Thats what you sign up for when you rent a house. Do you feel the same each time you stay in a hotel?

With a hotel you're not trapped into signing leases and you dont have to pay a deposit.
if the hotel bed is dirty you ask for another room.The guy wants a new matress,obviously because he's going to be there for a while and he doesnt like the old one.
Landlords just dont like spending money and i've seen some of the disgusting conditions they let rooms in saying "if you dont like it you can move and no,you're not getting your deposit back".
the worm has turned and its a tenent's market.

Landlords just dont like spending money and i've seen some of the disgusting conditions they let rooms in saying "if you dont like it you can move and no,you're not getting your deposit back".

You right it is a tennants market. On inspecting a house perhaps then raise the mattress question. Not after moving in!

Yes landlords dont like spending money, they took the risk in buying, paid the stamp duties and are paying tax on rental income as well as new tax levy. Now rents are falling, landlords are not an elite in todays society. Gone are they days of offering damp bedsits - the Irish tennant is more savvy and demands a high class product.

With a hotel you're not trapped into signing leases and you dont have to pay a deposit.
if the hotel bed is dirty you ask for another room.The guy wants a new matress,obviously because he's going to be there for a while and he doesnt like the old one.

Agree with you wexfordguy 100%.

we call these cheap disposable mattresses in London. we use the quilted mattresses instead of those mattresses with the springs that stick into you. they retail for £60 from local Landlord furniture suppliers. each time we have a change of tenants the mattress is automatically replaced but probably always have tenants that stay at least two years. i dont have any problem with this as i would expect this if i were to have to rent. the mattress concerned in Paulsgirl's query should definitely be changed in my opinion. also in between each tenancy each property is cleaned top to bottom by a cleaning company we use and carpets/vinyl cleaned or dumped and replaced (all very cheap supplies over here). From my experience, this is all very worthwhile and this is proven by how long our tenants stay and we never have any voids apart from the one week we allow for cleaning/painting/repairs etc.
i agree that some Landlords do not like spending money on their properties but that is a false economy and not very professional.

we call these cheap disposable mattresses in London. we use the quilted mattresses instead of those mattresses with the springs that stick into you. they retail for £60 from local Landlord furniture suppliers. each time we have a change of tenants the mattress is automatically replaced but probably always have tenants that stay at least two years. i dont have any problem with this as i would expect this if i were to have to rent. the mattress concerned in Paulsgirl's query should definitely be changed in my opinion. also in between each tenancy each property is cleaned top to bottom by a cleaning company we use and carpets/vinyl cleaned or dumped and replaced (all very cheap supplies over here). From my experience, this is all very worthwhile and this is proven by how long our tenants stay and we never have any voids apart from the one week we allow for cleaning/painting/repairs etc.

Well done mosstown,this is exactly what SOME landlords need to learn.I have been both and have never treated a tenant with disrespect,however as a tenant in the past it was unbelievable how a good paying tennant was treated.
I dont belive that just because we are in a difficult climate that some landlords are now deciding to keep their house/apt in good repair to retain tennants,I belive it should have always been that way..

Hi
We dumped the old one.
HTH

If the bed and mattress are in pretty good condition then it is their option to buy another from their own funds and take it with them when they leave, just as if they had a personal preference for different crockery, cutlery, electrical or decorative items.

However, I wouldn't recommend any landlord to buy a cheap mattress - if the tenant can't get a good night's sleep due to an inferior mattress they won't stay long.

Speaking as a landlord myself I'm quite puzzled by some of the posts.

There seems to be a thought process that landlords are loaded and tenants can do whatever they like.

If any tenant ever told me they wanted me to go out and buy a new bed for them when there is a perfectly good 2 year old bed there I would tell them to get stuffed.

When I let my place I put a plastic sheet on the matress to keep it fresh.

If someone wants to be prissy then they can go out and buy their own bed.

OP what will be next on their mind will they want you to change the carpet or the kitchen, if I was you I would just go out and get a good quality matress cover.

But what if the bed isn't of a good quality, and the tenant is perfectly right in asking for a new one? The OP admits that it is a cheap Des Kelly installation, why are you jumping to the conclusion that the tenant is in the wrong?

I don't think the tenant is wrong just that they are asking for too much.

Anyway the OP did say

we certainly didn't notice the bed in any worn state

Which to me would me the tenants are just being prissy and should go out and buy their own bed.

You right it is a tennants market. On inspecting a house perhaps then raise the mattress question. Not after moving in!

Do you normally let prospective tenants sleep in a bed before moving in?

I had a tenant ask the same...I had just left the house...and had slept on the perfectly fine mattress myself....I refused to get a new bed or mattress.

Hygiene is a concern in rented accommadation...one I deal with by providing a good mattress protector...tenants are free to wash this or augment it as they see fit.

If they prefer a new mattress...I'll store the old one for them, no prob.

She didn't ask again.
Some tenants are just downright nit-picky...and you are definitely better to nip that in the bud.

While the tenant was complaining about her mattress I was 8 months pregnant sleeping on a mattress on a floor...no bed. Not her fault but you get my drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back