Key Post: Photo Editor

Gimme

I need some advice on buying a reasonable photo editor (€100 -€130). I use MS photo editor and MGI Photsuite - these are fine to crop or reduce red eye but to do any more changing i think I may need to buy something a bit more powerful - what are my options?

Re: Photo Editor

The GIMP is a possible substitute for Photoshop and the like and it's totally free if that's of any use? You should at least evaluate it before shelling out for a commercial tool.

Also ... see item 31 in [broken link removed] for a couple of other free photo editing applications in addition to the GIMP.

[broken link removed] is a great little application from Google.

I discovered the Picasa and the Hello downloads yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Marion

Hi All,

Sorry for not replying sooner but I was away for a few days and didn't get a chance to log on - anyway thanks for all your replies. I think I'll try "The GIMP" and check it out over the summer before purchasing anything.

Re: >>Photo Editor

Just an update on Photo editing. I have downloaded and used Picasa2 for a while - I find it a very useful tool. It is great for emailing as it automatically reduces the size of the photos - don't know would this be a problem if you were emailing to a printer to have them developed or enlarged.

I also downloaded GIMP but I don't know if it's me or what but I find it difficult to follow/use.

Anyway, I have now decided that I need to use something more powerful - something that I use to clone coloure to hide/disguise unwanted items in a picture. A friend has recommended Adobe Photoshop Elements (€100 - he thinks?) - anyone have used this? Is it good, ease of use, value for money or should I try something else?

I have this and to be honest I dont find it user friendly, its a very powerful software package , you can do just about anything with it (in terms of photos). But it doesnt scream 'ease of use' but I suppose if I stuck with it I might get more from it!

I like the Gmail option on Picasa though, very very handy. I use Photobox to actually get photos printed, so the file size is not reduced

Last edited:

Gimme said:
It is great for emailing as it automatically reduces the size of the photos - don't know would this be a problem if you were emailing to a printer to have them developed or enlarged.

If you are looking for enlargements in particular reducing the size would be a major problem and even for 4"x6" a lot of the standard "email friendly" resolutions could produce a fall off in quality. If you have a high megapixel camera (eg 5 or 7 megapixels) then for a 4"x6" the original file could stand some reduction but not to some of the standard suggested sizes these programs give for email.

Back