Damage to new rental property

L

lost09

Rented out an apartment about 6 months ago and tenants have decided to move out due to unforseen circumstances. Just so happens in the same week there was serious water damage in the apartment - from the apt upstairs from it. The walls and ceiling in the main bathroom will have to be stripped and painted again, and all lights & tiles replaced. Also carpet in hallway will need to be replaced.

I basically can't let anyone view the apartment until this is rectified, which the builders have said could take up to two weeks, tenants are out in 3 weeks!! So i have one week to find tenants or else I incur loss of rent.

Do I have any come back at all, can I claim for loss of rent if it comes to that?? I have contents ins, but that doenst cover this. Developers/builders are paying for all the damage done as its a new apartment but I am lost to what will happen if I cant rent it due to no-viewings due to the state of the place from the water damage.

Any feedback appreciated...

Pigs will fly before you get a rent rebate.Just be happy that builder is funding repairs and is doing it right away.Have seen delays of up to 6 months while everyone played pass the buck.

I know this happened to someone recently and the management company insurance covered everything including and a allowance of some rent - payable to the tenant, due to their inconvience.

If the work is finished in 2 weeks & the tenants goes a week later, I can't see the insurance company compensating you. The tenant may not let you view the property while they are there anyway...they are not obligied to.

Yes, I think you should speak to the developers/builders and/or their insurers and advise them of the consequential loss you will clearly suffer as a result of not being able to rent.
If the response is not great then perhaps consult your solicitor because clearly their leak led to your losses,both of rental income and property damage.

Back