Smoke Pen shows up problems with pvc doors and windows

carrielou

Hi all, starting a new thread on this one if anyone can advise, please do.

Have had a serious draft under sitting room door for past year. New windows and doors installed September 07. Could not find the root of problem, blocked up vents and everything to try to figure out what was wrong. Got a smoke pen, used it around the doors and windows, vents and everywhere we could think of. We have serious problems with leaks in our doors and windows. Contacted the supplier and installer and he called round. Said, no way, these are profile 22 windows and doors. One major leak at join on front door, you can feel breeze with your hand. He was to come back next day to fix that bit, that was 2 weeks ago or more and have not heard from him or seen him since.

What is my next step.

Hi
I would suggest you write to him, if it is a limited company write to the registered business address, ( assuming installer and supplier is the one person), keep civil, also get a certificate of posting, give him two weeks to rectify the problem.
Read the letter before you send it, mention everything he said he would do, when he would do it, the problems you have, the concern you have, the distress this has caused etc. Keep a copy of this letter.
If you look at the website of the national consumer agency, they have sample letters,

Perhaps someone else might give different advise, best to get everything in writing, treat it as if it will end up in court, small claims court is one option in the future, however this depends on how much you are after, you must be a consumer to use this.

assuming you are a consumer you will have rights under the sales of goods and supply of services act 1980. note the warranty which you have from the manfacturers does not affect this.

just ensure if you have blocked vents where you burn gas, fuel etc, that the vent is unblocked,( in case of carbon monoxide build up)

perhaps someone else could add to this topic .

regards

Hi all, starting a new thread on this one if anyone can advise, please do.

Have had a serious draft under sitting room door for past year. New windows and doors installed September 07. Could not find the root of problem, blocked up vents and everything to try to figure out what was wrong. Got a smoke pen, used it around the doors and windows, vents and everywhere we could think of. We have serious problems with leaks in our doors and windows. Contacted the supplier and installer and he called round. Said, no way, these are profile 22 windows and doors. One major leak at join on front door, you can feel breeze with your hand. He was to come back next day to fix that bit, that was 2 weeks ago or more and have not heard from him or seen him since.

What is my next step.

this is the reason airtightness is such a catch phrase at the moment...

what you meed to do is firstly UNBLOCK THE VENTS

secondly, engage someone to do an airtightness test on you house...
this test will show up where the worst leaks are and will recommend remedial action.

windows and doors would be a common source of leakage..
but others would cause more draughs such as

1. through the attic hatch
2. where ever pipes puncture the walls, ie toilet SVPs, vents etc
3. at junctions of walls and floors / ceilings etc

Can you recommend a company in or around Limerick area that do this test?

Am pretty anxious about this now, the evening he called he said he would contact the manufacturer/supplier of the windows and doors who are in Belfast and see what they say but surely it would not take this long.

Two weeks ago was one week from Christmas.We're now one week into the holliday's ie two weeks ,nobody is going back to work until next (if anyone still has work) week.That'll be 3 weeks .Give him a chance. I doubt even ' theengineer' s solictors back in work yet

Dec 15th I rang and he called that evening.

Rang at near 3 o'clock in afternoon and he was sitting at home in his own sitting room.

Was to call to sort leak the next day and he didn't.

That week was a normal working week.

This has me baffled for 12 months and its time now to get it sorted.

theengineer, one thing you said about the warranty, he said the evening he called that the manufacturer gives life guarantee on the glass, he gives 10years on glass but only 1 year on frames, handles, etc. This kinda scared me. What would you think of that comment

Your windows were manufactured by a company called Superseal if it profile 22.They manufacture windows to the trade. Its them who give the guarantee to the company that fitted them.
If the leak is at a join then it is not siliconed properly, as for the leaks every where else it sounds like your hinges have popped so thet dont pull the sash against the seal.

It seems that most of the bottom joint corner are letting in air. The guy who we bought them from and who installed them coming Monday, he has a few things to check out. Will let ye know how things go

Back