Key Post: Reasonable' golf club membership outside Dublin

CCOVICH

I am hoping to get my golf handicap at some stage in the next 12 months. Was hoping to join a club within an hour's drive of Dublin (Portmarnock to be exact). Does anyone have any info on 'reasonable' membership fees for clubs that might fit my criteria? (Or will I have to go all the way to Birr or Boyle???)

Re: 'Reasonable' golf club membership

AFAIK Beaverstown in Donabate has a number of memberships going each year - I can't remember the exact details but I think that it's a fee of €380 per year or something. You do have to register early and they're allocated in December.
It really depends on what you would call reasonable and what you're prepared to do for a membership.
For example I hear that Corrstown around the back of the airport is very popular but you do have to "buy out" members to get yourself enrolled, these can go for as much as €10K (or so i hear).
Best of luck with it - If all else fails Deerpark in Howth is great and the green fees aren't expensive, myself and Mr Mo spent €28 there the other day for the pair of us. Clubs are so expensive these days you might be better of heading over there for a year and see how much you would actually spend before you take the plunge and buy a membership.
If it's a case that you need a handicap for insurance purposes etc, sign yourself up with a golfing association with a club - For example Malahide Bridge Club. Although if you did that - you'd see less of your house and more of the Bridge Club and Golf Clubs, LOL

Cheers mo3art. Meself and the missus were actually in Deerpark on Sat. morning for 9 holes, any chance you were there at the same time?

Wouldn't have any problem going further afield than Donabate, I see that Bodenstown in Sallins has very reasonable green fees (around €15), I wonder if this has any relationship to membership cost? Only one way to find out I suppose, ring and ask!

Not at the age where I want to take up bridge;) , maybe in 40 years or so!

Have a look through . Looking at the Beaverstown details I see that 'There are vacancies for Ordinary (7 Day) and 5 day members. Applications should be submitted immediately. The entrance fee for 5 day membership is €5,500 and €11,000 for ordinary membership'.

My own club took in 10 new members last year at a cost of 26K each! The annual sub is over 1K.

Longford Golf Club is open to new members at the moment ... with no fee for joining. If you could face a 1.5hr journey from Dublin it may be worth a try ... newly redesigned 18 hole course.

Henny Penny said:
Longford Golf Club is open to new members at the moment ... with no fee for joining. If you could face a 1.5hr journey from Dublin it may be worth a try ... newly redesigned 18 hole course.

Any further details on this one Henny Penny? What is the membership fees?

Corballis in Donabate had membership for about €350 2 years ago but I think you had to pay for green fees in addition.

I've just heard that Montrath has membership for €500. Not a bad location (even for a NSider like myself) given the improvements in the N7/M7 in recent times. Joining fees are €130/€190/€320 depending on circumstances. Seems 'reasonable'. You do need a proposer and seconder, but I presume this is the same for most/all clubs?

Sorry SlimeyGoose, not sure about any details ... just saw it advertised in last weeks paper that the club was open to new members with no joining fee.

Contact John Donlan
Phone 043 46310

Citywest is open for membership at €700 per annum.

Yeah heard about Citywest yesterday, sounds like the best deal in Dublin.

Abbeyleix in Co. Laois seem to be offering full membership for €675 (€700 after 1 March) which seems competitive.

Also heard that Carrickmacross in Monaghan is quite good value (I will update with more details), especially for me with close proximity to M1.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Portlaoise Par 3 have just extended to a golf course (completed a week or so ago). I don't know how nice it is, but they are looking at €500 a year and it is very accesable by the motorway. I can drive from Drumcondra to Portlaoise in 1 hour and 15 minutes if the road is clear - i.e. Saturday, Sunday mornings.

A few people I know have joined it and are very happy with their decision.

Cheap golf membership

Hi,

Can anyone offer advice on good value (cheap) golf membership anywhere in Ireland but preferably not too far from Dublin. I am looking to join a club to obtain a handicap and get in some much needed practice.

Thks.

Re: Cheap golf membership

Around Dublin, you could try:
Hollystown
Swords Open (public)
Corballis (public)
Elm Green (public)
Sillogue (public)
Deer Park (public)
Dublin City
Citywest

Some are better than others

Is it possible to get a handicap by playing on a public course?

Yes, it is given by the club affiliated with the course (note that 'membership' of such a club does not confer the same benefits as a proper golf course).

Hi All

A good value course/club to join is Highfield Golf Course in Carbury, Co.Kildare. It is 30 miles (most of it the motorway to Galway) from the Galway Road/M50 roundabout: turn off at Enfield and head towards Edenderry. A friendly club with excellent facilities priced (I think) at €720 pa with (I think) €2k entry fee. Relative to other courses this is reasonable value.

roscrea golf club, i hour or so from mad cow. €530 annual sub: not sure of up from fee but afaik its about €700.
lovely course.

Holes: 18 Yardage: 5706 SSS: 70​
Roscrea Golf Club is located 3 km east of Roscrea on the N7.

This fine parkland course is playable all year due to the high gravel content of its subsoil.
Possessing many fine features, especially the par 5 fifth is known locally as The Burma Road, it measures 520 yards with both sides of the fairway lined by magnificent trees, with out-of-bounds from tee to green, on the left.

Trolley hire and catering are available.

Roscrea Golf Club
Derryvale,
Roscrea, Tipperary
Tel : +353 (0)505 21130

Ive seen full membership advertised in Times last week in Castlerea for around 250 euro!
Dont play myself.

Back