Trouble communicating with agent

ALEXA

I am considering buying a house in a holiday village where the original properties were Section 23 but I understand that this has been phased out. I first saw the house on daft.ie and went to view it. The agent said there was an offer on the property over the asking price but the seller hadn't accepted it eventhough it was K10 more than the price similar houses in the village recently sold for.

When I asked for a second viewing the agent said it was now rented out so I asked if the seller was serious about selling or just wasting time. I havn't been given an answer on that. The property has been on daft since Jan 2013. There is another house in the same development that the agent told me was sale agreed but I just noticed that it too has just been renewed on daft a few days ago. I am beginning to think that there is some scam going on that the owners are pretending to want to sell to satisfy the bank they have gotten into negative equity with and are dragging the process out and wasting people's time who are genuinely interested in buying the houses. I am still interested but wonder how long if ever I may have to wait. The agent is also very poor at communicating and has ignored e-mails I have sent and is also very reluctant to answer his phone.

I would appreciate any advice or to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Move on and don't even give it's a second thought,I had a similar experience in 2012 the estate agent eventually told me not to waste my time as the property was for sale only for to please the banks and the individual "selling" has no intention of ever closing.
Look for a property that still has sec 23 attached, this occurs when the seller sells before the 10 year period from purchase meaning revenue claw all of the qualifying allowance used back and you inherit the original amt (percentage of the amt you pay) i.e. if you pay €100k and the sec 23 is an 80 % allowance the the section available to you is 80k.

It's something we have been experiencing for the last three years now since we have actively been seeking a property. This is not unusual I'm afraid. I can spot it at 10 paces these days. We have moved on, on many occassions. I don't get dissapointed anymore with estate agent speil or definite non sales. We make an offer and walk away and never get into a bidding war.

Thanks guys for your replies and advice. I had never experienced the like before and its very frustrating as I really like the property and the price. It looks like the vendor has kept up this pretense for some time and will probably continue to do so. I may put in an offer and see what the response is but look out for something else in the meantime.

I was in a somehow similar situation a few years ago. It was impossible to get the Ea to answer the phone call or e-mail. I did manage to view the property after 2 weeks of waiting. I've put a bid 10k below the asking price, and it was rejected. There was no negotiating from the asking price what so ever. I did love the house, but all I was thinking was the issues I could have with him during the sale process. A month later the property was sold 5k below my offer price!

Hi Mihaela, its difficult to figure out the logic behind your experience - especially as you know the house sold for less than you had offered. I guess some vendors are not fully committed to the sale and others like the guy I would like to buy from, are just messing with serious buyers. It is disgraceful that this kind of practice can be allowed without implications and it has left me feeling disillusioned about buying as I've begun doubting whether or not a sale will progress.

Back