If mortgage in Sole Name is Sole Name on Deeds?

tinal

Hi All

When my husband and I purchased our home (1998), to avail of the FTB Grant, I took out the mortgage on my own. We then married a few years later. Does my husbands name automatically go on the deeds of the house or do we have to officially add it?

Many thanks
t

Mortgage and purchase are separate transactions. If the property was purchased in joint names then both names should be on the deeds. However it would be unusual for a Bank to grant a mortgage in sole names as it would not be able to take the property as security unless a guarantee was obtained from your husband to cover his interest in the property. Given the facts that are applicable in your case I would assume that the property is rgistered in your name only. You will need your solicitor to add his name to the title.

Thanks Brendan for your prompt reply. Would our solicitor have the deeds to the house so that I can confirm if it is just in my name?

2 issues here. The bank will have the deeds and they also have a charge over the property (assuming that you haven't paid off your mortgage). You will need to put this request to the Bank which will mean that they will need to transfer the mortgage into both names. there is going to be a cost factor in completing ball this and new need to take that into account. Is there a specific reason why you want the property to be in joint names?

My Father-in-Law had a Limited Company which has now ceased trading. My husband was named as a Director of same. They owe €20,000 to the Bank. I am just wondering if the bank can place a Judgement Mortgage on our home, even though it is in my sole name (I will need to confirm this)? We have written to the bank with a payment plan for paying the Debt but I am looking at worst case scenario at the moment.

Thanks for your help Brendan

My Father-in-Law had a Limited Company which has now ceased trading. My husband was named as a Director of same. They owe €20,000 to the Bank. I am just wondering if the bank can place a Judgement Mortgage on our home, even though it is in my sole name (I will need to confirm this)? We have written to the bank with a payment plan for paying the Debt but I am looking at worst case scenario at the moment.

Thanks for your help Brendan

The company debt and your house are 2 entirely separate things from a legal perspective.

When you say 'we have written'... who is the we here?

Back