junk e-mail

joanmul

I have recently been getting these messages with postmaster notification delivery failure, or something like that on them. I deleted 79 of them - in a row. I got them a few weeks ago and opened the 1st one, then realised it was a new tactic. Is there any way I could return them to the sender as a means of discouragement?

If they are junk mail, returning them to sender would only confirm that your email address is valid and might lead to more junk.

Yeah, don't ever reply to junk email as all that stuff is sent out automatically to any and all random names hoping to hit a few real accounts - so when you reply it just confirms there is someone on the other end listening.

What email provider are you using? I have Gmail and do not stress about junk mail from spammers. However, junk mail from legitimate companies is another story. lol

Threat them. Sometimes it works. But don't reply to email that you got spam from. Write straight to company the spam is advertising. Tell to stop becouse spamming is illegal.

Report the spam.

In my experience gmail catches far more spam than the other webmail providers.

A spammer may be using your email address as the from address for spam they are sending. This is common enough, and mails detected as spam will be bounced back to your address as undeliverable.
Leo

Threat them. Sometimes it works. But don't reply to email that you got spam from. Write straight to company the spam is advertising. Tell to stop becouse spamming is illegal.

Don't contact them! No legitimate company who are likely to heed such contact will be marketting via spam. Contacting any company mentioned in spam is only going to confirm to the spammers that your email address is valid.

How are you going to contact spammers?

They use botnets (compromised computers) to churn out hundreds of millions of emails. I generally have about 2-4000 of these at a time in my spam folder. They get deleted once a month

Isn't it possible to set filters on most email accounts to simply dump these into the junk folder?

I keep one email address for important things, family, banks etc. and several others for forum sign-ups etc... I get no spam in my important email. I could care less what shows up in the other ones.

I do the same and also use mail2web.com Open your email with this. You do not need to download them, just read the title and delete them all with one click

Spam

GMAIL is pretty effective but what I sometimes do is the following:
(To give them a taste of their own medicine!)

If the senders address is:
- Legitimate, then use it (i.e. [email protected] or whatever)
- a bogus temp email address, then go to whatever site/service address they point you to and get their proper contact address (maybe do this ANYWAY, even for what SEEMS to be a legit email address)

Once you have any/all of the senders/marketing company's email addresses sign up for as many newsletters, services and free emails as you can possibly find online using THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!

I store a list of websites where you can sign up for MULTIPLE newsletters, etc.

The beauty of this is not only will they get SPAM from websites you sign them up for, but most of those websites SELL the email address on to OTHER marketing companies......

I.E. They will be inundated with SPAM

I have POP3 accounts, i.e. not Webmail, e-mail gets downloaded to the computer.
Have been using Mailwasher from firetrust.com (free) for many years. It allows for quick and efficient server deletion of spam using automatic and user-defined filters, blacklists and whitelists. After 'washing' you download only the legit stuff into your e-mail programme (I use The Bat -miles better and safer than Outlook). Highly recommended.

They will be inundated with SPAM

I'm afraid you're just wasting more of your own time there. Spammers don't monitor these email addresses! They don't even have access to the vast majority of email addresses they spoof as the sender address.

- a bogus temp email address, then go to whatever site/service address they point you to ...

I'm afraid that really is the last thing you should do, you're leaving yourself wide open to attack there.
Leo

Back