Home Renewing home insurance (do I need to declare invest propert claim) ?

Tubbs

The scenario...

We had a flood in our rental property last year.
(45k claim successful achieved.)

Rental property was reinstated with the money and we have since sold it.

Now, I have my primary residence renewal notice - do I need to declare my claim on the rental property when completing my renewal for my primary (and only) residence ?

Thanks.

generally its a claim on the property you declare as there is no link. if you already have the premium notice let them know as there should not be any change to premium as the claim did not relate to the property

Thanks for that - I'll mention it to the insurance renewal company - just to cover myself (as I know they will do anything to try and get out of a payout - I have lots of grey hair now from my 45k payout battle!!)

I only really thought about this when I was shopping around online - I was asked if I was claim free for the last 3 years. I am not claim free but I am claim free on the property I am trying to insure.

Anyway the premium renewal (AIB using AXA) seems to be very competitive compared to other online quotes (when I manage to fudge past the 3 years thing)

Thanks again.

You should disclose this as its a material fact, regardless of what property it relates to. Likely it will be ignored by the insurer as its material, but not relevant. I would inform them in writing or email, so that its recorded as disclosed, and you have proof of that.

You should disclose this as its a material fact, regardless of what property it relates to. Likely it will be ignored by the insurer as its material, but not relevant. I would inform them in writing or email, so that its recorded as disclosed, and you have proof of that.

Exactly...... so why disclose it?

If he was taking out insurance for the first time and was asked have you ever had a claim on any other property then that is a different story.

Exactly...... so why disclose it?

If he was taking out insurance for the first time and was asked have you ever had a claim on any other property then that is a different story.

Because its a material fact that must be disclosed under the insurance condition of "utmost good faith". Renewals are issued on the basis of no material change in risk and re-contracted on this basis. The fact is material (even if not of relevant in this circumstance) and should be disclosed to comply with the aforementioned condition. This is simply the most prudent thing to do.

Back