New public service sick pay scheme, elective surgery, take SL now or later?

laois1

Hi I am looking for advice re the new sick pay scheme. A friend is due to have an elective procedure done which will involve 3 - 4 weeks off work. She has just found out that she can either get it done next week or leave it until late April. I believe the new public sector sick pay scheme rules apply from April 1st ie only 3 months full pay and 3 months half. She is wondering if she would be better off taking sick leave now before the new scheme takes effect ? If she takes it in April she would only have 8 weeks to use in the years ahead if she has health issues. Is everyone starting with a clean slate from 1st April and would it be advisable to go sick earlier rather than later ?

Are elective procedures covered in either event?

When you say clean slate, I'm fairly sure previous years sick leave will still be taken into account in referrals to CMO and for promotion etc.

She should really just talk to HR and/or her Union.

Yes elective surgery would be paid as sick leave. She is not concerned re promotions, this is a necessary operation which cannot be avoided. She has had very little sick leave in the past. It's for the future she is worried about as if this operation does not go well she may well need more time off and does not want to go on half pay.

If it were me, I'd take the opportunity to have the procedure sooner in any event. One would expect that, at worst, the sick leave situation should be no worse by opting for the earlier procedure rather than waiting.

Hi I am looking for advice re the new public service sick pay scheme. A friend is due to have an elective procedure done which will involve 3 - 4 weeks off work. She has just found out that she can either get it done next week or leave it until late April. I believe the new public sector sick pay scheme rules apply from April 1st ie only 3 months full pay and 3 months half. She is wondering if she would be better off taking sick leave now before the new scheme takes effect ? If she takes it in April she would only have 8 weeks to use in the years ahead if she has health issues. Is everyone starting with a clean slate from 1st April and would it be advisable to go sick earlier rather than later ?

It will make no difference. The 4 years is rolling and rolls back to Mar/April 2010. So, whatever sick leave she takes now will add to the total and she will have 3 months minus that assuming no other sick leave in the last 4 years. However, if she goes off now and there are complications, she could remain off on full pay for 6 months (less whatever S/L she has taken in past 12/48 months as per usual).

Hi. Thanks for replies. I'm confused! On the one hand you say it will make no difference but then what you say slightly contradicts this, if I'm interpreting correctly.
Lets say she has 2 weeks sick leave already in the last 4 years. If she goes sick now she will have 5 1/2 months full pay left ? Is this correct whereas if she leaves it til April she will have only 2 1/2 months pay left or does it automatically revert to 2 1/2 months on April 1st ?? Is the rolling period always counted back exactly from the current date ie starting 7th March 2010 if she went sick today ? Sorry if I'm a bit clueless about this !

The countback is 4 years from the date of return from the latest sick leave.

Edit: Here's the relevant paragraph from the Communications Document sent to HR by Dept of Public Expenditure and Reform which explains the situation outlined by slim

Transitional Arrangements
If an individual has begun a period of absence due to sick leave that continues after 31 March 2014, that individual will continue to avail of the current sick leave provisions for that sick leave absence, i.e., a maximum of 6 months on full pay and a maximum of 6 months on half pay. When that individual returns to work any future sick leave absence will be dealt with under the terms of the new Public Service Sick Leave Scheme.

Link to document: [broken link removed] (the link is in the middle of the page)

Thank you very much. So there is a significant difference IF her sick leave were on a continuous basis beginning in March. Many thanks for clarifying this !

Back