Moyle Park College in Clondalkin entrance exam

geri

Hi all,
My nephew is doing the entrance exam to Moyle Park College in Clondalkin on Saturday. He is very nervous about it. Would anyone be able to provide a link to past or sample papers so that we can give him an idea about what to expect and do some relevant revision with him during the week. I have done some searches but can't find any.
Thanks,
Geri

Although these things are called 'entrance' exams they aren't. Schools cannot offer places on the basis of academic results; so I'd be inclined to try and get your nephew to relax & worry less about it.

The best place you'd get past papers would be from the school themselves, if they'll give them out.

I agree. Past papers are not generally available, as most schools do not want to encourage swotting or getting stressed about it.

My daughter did her assessment text last week and the school encouraged us to explain that it is only used as a baseline so they can identify kids who need support learning. There is no pass or fail and no results are ever made public.

This is the approach that I would take to help your nephew.

I should add, could you find a 1st or 2nd year pupil from the school to talk tyo him to explain what happens on the day. Even this might go a long way to help him mentally prepare.

Points taken - thanks for the advice. This child's mother passed away two years ago. His father is not on the scene. He is being reared by his grandparents and I think maybe it's them more than the child who are stressed about it, which is making him nervous. We will try and calm things down a bit. Thanks again,
Geri.

I thought these tests were only ever done after the child was accepted to the school. Otherwise the school is leaving itself open to accusations of manipulating admissions. They are just done to identify the academic ability of students and to spot potential problems early. Absolutely nothing to worry about and absolutely no need to study.

It probably is just a bit of reassurance he needs. Maybe the teacher in his current school could give a general bit of reassurance to the class, if you has a quiet word with him/ her? Best of luck to your nephew, it is a bit nerve wracking, I am sure, but he will be absolutely fine.

Back