Negotiating at my next pay review

wannabesavvy

Hello all,

I am a recent graduate working in the software industry with 2 years commercial experience as a software engineer.

I will have a salary review in the next couple of weeks and am finding it difficult to put a figure on my real value in terms of salary.

Currently I am earning €36.5k. I'm not sure what kind of an increase I should ask for to get the ball rolling. People have been telling me to push hard and i've been hearing 50k mentioned a few times in various different contexts from people both inside and out of the company. To me that is a pretty high increase (37%), could it send the wrong message if I asked for it.

On the other hand. There have been a number of real indicators that I am very highly valued by the company. My starting salary with them out of college was at the high end. I think 50k is probably somewhere around the high end also. Now that I have proven myself, performed very well and can be relied on, I don't see why I should not continue to get paid at the high end.

What do others think? I am inclined to enter the review and let my manager mention the first figure. I would only say it first if really pushed.

Is my quoted figure disrespectfully high or is it a fair starting point in which I should (and would) settle for less.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just make sure that your boss is sitting down and doesn't have a heart condition before you share your views on a 37% salary increase.

My advice to you would be to take it in stages or look for another position paying 50K and see how you get on.

Fair enough.. I respect that answer and it's what I was expecting.

In your opinion, what would be a better figure to start off on?

You should start the ball rolling rather than allowing your manager to pitch his figure as this sets the base for negotiations
If there is a real basis for your 50k pitch set iy out clearly with reference to your value to the co. Industry norms etc

Thanks Rsa17.

In your opinion, what constitues "real basis" ?

I am hard working, work extra hours every week, can be relied on and never let people down. I have worked on a variety of projects and some cutting edge tech with very little reference material and delivered. I have been sent as a representative of the company to various events and performed well. I have recently been given some stock options, which is not common practice in the company.

Does this sound like something that would justify such a request ?

So, you have been nurtured by your company since graduating, they have recognised you by giving you top end salary for a graduate, they have further supported you by giving you stock options that you obviously don't care about*.

Well perhaps I'm alone in thinking that loyalty should go two ways, but obviously that is a quaint notion in these days.

Best you head off and take that 50k role that people are queueing up to offer you. You might then realise that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

*if you valued the options you would have alluded to it in your salary comparison

So, you have been nurtured by your company since graduating, they have recognised you by giving you top end salary for a graduate, they have further supported you by giving you stock options that you obviously don't care about*.

Well perhaps I'm alone in thinking that loyalty should go two ways, but obviously that is a quaint notion in these days.

Best you head off and take that 50k role that people are queueing up to offer you. You might then realise that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

*if you valued the options you would have alluded to it in your salary comparison

I feel your reply is a bit harsh, which is ok with me as my figures may be for the birds. I am trying to find a figure that is more realistic and this is part of the process.

Regarding the options. I have been specifically told that they are completely separate to salary. I do value them but also at their worth, which is not too great right now. They wouldn't be too heavily weighted if I was thinking about leaving.

To be honest I am new to receiving options in employment, is it the case that these should be viewed as salary and seen as salary when considering my annual gross amount.

Where is this coming from?? I didn't say i've been offered this by anybody. Just friends and people in similar situations are earning that figure. It's just a figure I have heard mentioned by a number of people so i'm trying to determine if it is realistic and achievable. Obviously I would like to earn as much as possible but also not greedy.

Guys, I'm getting the feeling that I am being seen as greedy and unrealistic. I'm not, just trying to get a handle on my market value and how I should try and negotiate. I am doing this now as I want to be informed when it comes to my review.

If I am unsure about something like this I will usually start of with something high and possibly unrealistic. Then put it to others will quickly bring me back to reality and hopefully end up at a realistic, fair point.

Am I going about this wrong way entirely?

Benchmark yourself against suitable roles elsewhere. Contact recruiters to see how much you're worth (most will simply add an extra 10%; but you may get real insight from some).

Are your reading your trade magazines?

Give us more details re the stock options......

Back