Are fortnightly refuse collections norm in Ireland? UK getting into a tizzy about it?

ajapale

I assume fortnightly refuse collections are the norm in Ireland?

I cant understand why our friends in the UK are getting into such a tizzy about moving from weekly to fortnightly collections. Perhaps its a big deal in the very large conurbations?

Fortnightly where I am, refuse one week, recycling the next, been that way for a number of years

To be fair, its one very particular section of society that are getting in a tizzy about it.... and they all seem to read the Daily Mail... what a strange coincidence.

Where I am in Dublin used to be weekly prior to the introduction of the brown bins. Now they alternate weeks between the two. I guess the one issue for people would be if they miss a collection, they have to wait another 2 weeks.

we switched over from fingal to panda last year and Panda operate on an optional black bin collection every week but charge per lift and alternate green / brown every second week.

It works out great because we recycle/compost everything so the black bin is only full about every 4th week.

The private bin company that I use (one of I think 3 that service the area!) collects general waste every week and recyclables every 2 weeks.

Friends of mine in the South of England commented on a proposed change from weekly bin collections in their area - some years ago their regular size wheely bin (240L) was designated for recyclables only and they were given a smaller, slimmer bin (120L) for general waste. There were concerns in the area that the small bin wouldn't be big enough if it wasn't emptied every week - all depended on the household size and the amount of recycling done.

Every two weeks for the black bin where I am. But of course smug 4th estater's household only has to put the black one out every SIX weeks. Fixed charge too, none of that pay by weight faff either. The amount of packaging on stuff nowadays, and the newspapers, and the plastic bottles, and the tins means the Green one is out religiously every two weeks though, but that's free.

I can't remember when the brown bin is collected, I am cooking a heap of compost minus the food waste in it at the mo, mostly grass, cliippings, and deadheaded flowers etc. Couldn't stand the smell of the food, but it's going to be great in a few weeks, for the winter mulching etc.

Back