Anyone see Rice for less than 1.19 Euro Per Kg in Dublin?

Interesting site Peter, but order value - greater than or equal to £250 (€287) with free delivery.

Some of the prices are being beaten at the supermarkets ie 1.77/kg for basmati rice is €1.49 at tescos.

True ajapale. The guys on Bargain alerts seem to think the cheese is of particular good value. It only makes sense if you are buying in bulk and willing to spend €287 in one go.

They like most other chinese take away's give the rice as part of the main dish, so they dont get €1.50 per portion.

That's great then, but the post I quoted referred to the owner telling you he should be charging double for rice than he does. Twice nothing is still nothing.;-)

That's great then, but the post I quoted referred to the owner telling you he should be charging double for rice than he does. Twice nothing is still nothing.;-)

He has obviously factored in the cost of the rice into the meal price and therefore meant he should be increasing those prices but he hasnt. I understood from the conversation with him that the rice had doubled in price.

I dont' think theres much difference in taste for the price if your goal is to eat on a prudent budget especially since the flavors in the meals I make would come from the portion of the food added to the rice. I found my rice improved siginficantly once I left behind this ''boil in the bag'' idea and put the rice loose into a pot.

As my daughter is coeliac she regularly eats rice on its own because there are so many dishes that cause her problems. Its at times like this that the flavour is more noticeable. I would never use boil in the bag as it is even more expensive.

I would never use boil in the bag as it is even more expensive.

It's not only more expensive but it produces inferior ''mushy'' rice compared to loose rice which is drained after cooking in my opinion.

Just seen this website being advertised on the Bargain Alerts board and the cheapest rice these guys have on offer is 10Kg bags of long grain rice for €9.85 http://www.fairfayre.com

Thanks that's an interesting site. Perhaps the minimum order would be a bit much for rice even though rice does keep well but if I find some other items on the website which would be bought at higher prices over a few weeks shopping the minimum order could perhaps be justified somehow. Now I wonder if theres anywhere similar in Dublin where I could collect.

as per my reply ion sugar prices - rice is a tradeable commodity and rises / falls depending on demand and crop yield.

Demand is up and crop yield down recenlty, so prices have doubled in past year or so.

At retail you don't see a 100% increase as the processing & packaging costs are stable.

Also, the 20c - 30 saving you make ion cheap rice is not worth it from a taste & texture point of view imo.

prices have doubled in past year or so.

At retail you don't see a 100% increase as the processing & packaging costs are stable.

The retailers can absorb a doubling in price and still make a profit at 1.19 euro per kg ? Would that not mean they had a truly massive markup beforehand ?

A little off topic, but not much - I've started again using brown rice, and was looking at the nutritional value of it on the bag of Aldi Brown Long Grain Rice vs Aldi Basmati Rice, and noticed that the fibre content of the brown rice was less !! than the basmati...how does that make sense? It is real brown rice in that it is nutty and chewy (not just colour coated) and takes yonks to cook...but I would have expected it to be higher in fibre than white basmati...

The retailers can absorb a doubling in price and still make a profit at 1.19 euro per kg ? Would that not mean they had a truly massive markup beforehand ?

?? - I'm not sure you understand what I was saying.

The raw rice picked from fields, unwashed and in large lorry loads has dubled in price. There are many other cost invoved before it reaches the shop shelves and all these other costs are stable.

Probably about 50% of the price is to do with the raw cost and it is this part only that has increased in price. The price of transporting it, washing it, packing it etc, did not rise. Hence a 100% increase in the commodity market does not bring a 100% increase at retail.

Back