Free anti-virus

I have read many times that avast is the thing to get and even our IT guy at work recommended it, but I have no personal experiences, as using Mc Afee.

I use Avast....

Seems to be okay.... It detected a virus threat, and I just mopped it up with Housecall (on the good advice of a member of AAM)....

An IT Architect suggested Avast to me.....

I would echo 's recommendation on Avast. Using it for a couple of months now. Happy it is doing what it is supposed to. Works well with MS-Outlook 2003, in addition to the usual web stuff.
I replaced AVG with Avast as I found the former very resource heavy on my (almost 7 year desktop) PC. No such problems with Avast. Works away in the background, automatically updating it's virus database.
Note I also use 'SuperAntiSpyware' (freeware) in combination with Avast to handle spy/malware.

Never had a problem with Avast myself over the years, but be careful where you download a programme from. This is a reputable site and has most or all of the anti virus programmes mentioned above and loads of other freebie stuff as well. cnet download.com

Just do a search for the one you fancy.:)

Hi Jess. I just want to add that AVG Free is very good. I used it for a few years and didn't have a problem but, if like me, you have data, etc., stored on your computer that you couldn't afford to lose in the event of a virus attack, you might want to consider paying for antivirus. I don't think any free versions of antivirus can deal with serious threats to your computer.

I was using AVG subscription version - when my sub ran out i downloaded Avast to see if it was any good.

It detected problems with my laptop that AVG did not and that was the subscription version.

Definitely Avast over AVG.

Another +1 on Avast.

Used AVG free for a few years but found that increasingly it was a drain on my PC.

No such problems with Avast for the last 6 months or so. Pretty quick scans too.

Some Paid for, anti virus programmes can be quite complex and unless you know what your doing......you could do more harm than good.

thats why I stay with the freebies:)

I use AVG and find it very good. We had previously used Norton and it seemed to slow computer down and was constantly popping up telling us to do something or other!

Anyone any updates on free anti virus? I had Norton & it's about to run out - should I buy one or use the freebies available?

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to be working fine with no problems. I used to use Avast and Spywareblaster but read that Microsoft Security Essentials is lighter on the system than having two separate types of protection. Also use Comodo firewall.

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to be working fine with no problems. I used to use Avast and Spywareblaster but read that Microsoft Security Essentials is lighter on the system than having two separate types of protection. Also use Comodo firewall.

There is a poll over on the boards and MSE is coming out tops so far, might even switch from avast to mse myself, but never had any probs with avast.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056122397

I use AVG free version. Never had a problem with it, and it's accepted as okay software by Trinity College when connecting to their system.

Back