average salaries

D

D

I've been trying to search AAM for a discussion on average salaries in ireland but can't find it.

Apologies to bring this one up again - can anyone point me to the link please?

Sorry I can't find the link for you.

But here is some September 2002 data from the CSO. Average weekly earnings in various sectors.

Industry 509.19
Distribution and Business services 559.51
Financial sector 663.92
Construction 668.21

Public sector 700.86

Ah, the poor underpaid public sector.

Contango10

Ah, the poor underpaid public sector.

Bless 'em !!

This pay disparity will increase now as well once the latest national pay agreements, and a bit of "Benchmarking" filter through.

Will we never ask for value and accountability from our public servants in this country ?

Average salary

As a former (well on career break actually) member of the public sector, I think the previous emails are a little unfair. It should be pointed out that the average public sector salary includes overtime for the prison service and gardai, which as they say is quite considerable and does bring up the average.

While Adminstrative Civil Servants such (as yours truly used to be) do ok ish around 660-670? tihs is counterbalanced by very low wages in other areas such as General Operatives etc.

Just saying as all,

Rodders.

PS Don't even get me started on benchmarking!!!

are the figures quoted above net per week? ie. 700 after tax for a publin servant?

Rodders,

yes, you are right, the massive overtime in the Gardai and the Prison Service do inflate the figures, so I will also soon post up the figures for esch sector within the public sector.

Ben,

when comparing wages, I believe it is the norm to always quote gross wages, as income taxes depend on the individual's situation: married, single, rent or mortgage, health insurance, pension, etc., etc.

Contango10

Public sector salaries

Sep 2002, average weekly earnings

CIVIL SERVICE 641
Prison officers 1055
Admin civil servants 614
Industrial civil servants 482

DEFENCE 582
GARDA 926
EDUCATION 728
REGIONAL BODIES 573
SEMI-STATES 759

Sorry I can't find the link for you.

But here is some September 2002 data from the CSO. Average weekly earnings in various sectors.

Are the following CSO links of any use?

- [broken link removed]

- [broken link removed]

Just wondering if the wages for the Garda's 2nd job as landlord/painter/builder are included in the figures quoted ;)

Fw. Average salaries.

Hi folks,

Thanks for accepting the vargaries of the data....!

This is slightly off point but interesting none the less - apparently the Civil Service commission were inundated with requests to apply for the latest round of Executive Officer/Administrative Officer posts. It seems that nearly 5,000 people applied for the Admin Officer post (which is a graduate position of which there MIGHT be up to 40-50 posts) alone. This reminds me of the good old days in the late 80s early 90's when 10,000-12,000 would apply for 20-30 posts!!!

Funny considering that two/three years the public sector was being poo-pooed by all and sundry - by that I mean entrants into the job market. Dare I say that this sector has become fashionable again?

Hmmmm...... maybe I should go back after all!! :rolleyes

Regards,

Rodders.

Civil disservice . .

No wonder they were inundated with applications.

Where else could you find a low stress, well paid job, with full job security, and no need to worry about how well you are serving your customer or employer (the Irish people) ?

Where else would you find such a generous final salary pension scheme paid, underwritten by the Irish taxpayer ?

Where else would you find an employer who will give you a guaranteed payrise, irrespective of the state of the economy, or of your own individual ability ?

Where else would you find an employer who would fly you around the world business class for "conferences", and pay you a tax free away from home allowance of hundreds of euro for each night away ?

How can I get an application form ?

competition

Hi sandy small

Make your application, but there is no guarantee you'll get the job. There's lots of competition - 5000 applicants for 40 possible jobs! They have achieved the goal to attract high calibre people.

They will only select the brightest and the best.

Hi Sandy,

I wouldn't quite agree with you on the job description for the Civil Service.....It can get a bit stressful at times actually! :rupert

While the pension rights are pretty sweet admittedly, you can make the job your own and get a good career out of it. Also, as an organisation is deals with employees in a humane light. I doubt our private sector friends could claim that to be the case ;)

Anyway, the only really down side can be dealing with Ministers!!! >:

in any event, you should apply to the Civil Service and Local Appointments Commission, Lower Grand Canal Street Dublin 2.

best of luck,

Rodders

humane face of public service

I don't want to add sour grapes, but if the private sector gave its employees some of the benefits enjoyed in the civil service, a lot of companies would not turn a profit.

This particularly applies to small, family-run businesses who have to comply with legislation designed for bigger companies (in my opinion, anwyay).

For example, how could a small company give employees sabbaticals for up to five years to try their hand at a different job, or self-employment, and guarantee the employees their jobs when the come back?

How could the private sector afford to finance computers for employees by subsidising them to the tune of 50 per cent of the price of the equipment?

How could small businesses afford to pay for taxis for employees because they leave the office at 7pm instead of 5.30 pm?

How could the private sector fund the index-linked pensions enjoyed by the public sector?

I think it's easier to have a humane face when you are not paying the bill ultimately. For most indigenous businesses, which employ on average less than five people, economics have to be taken into account when giving the perks and benefits to employees, or additional leave.

regards
Bubbles

Re: public vs private sector

I always find these debates about public vs private sector employees a bit futile. Clearly there are pros and cons to each sector. If you think the pros of one outweigh the pros of the other, then think about changing your job.

?

What are the pros to working in the private sector?

Re: ?

Hi tedd,

You say:

I always find these debates about public vs private sector employees a bit futile

Au contraire !! We need to have a full and open debate in this country about the value we get for our taxes, which is something that we have not done to date.

Why should the hard pressed private sector worker or small businessman continue to should the financial generous terms and conditions for public sector waste? Just look at all the extra money that has been pumped into Health over the past five years, where has it gone other than into higher salaries and admin posts ? The patients see little benefit from this.

As taxpayers, we deserve better.

Re: ?

Au contraire !! We need to have a full and open debate in this country about the value we get for our taxes, which is something that we have not done to date.

As taxpayers, we deserve better.

Sounds like you've dispensed with the need for any debate and have already made your mind up!

Back