Do Aldi / Lidl accept Visa Debit (rather than Laser)?

Squonk

I received my VISA debit card today from BofI to replace my Laser card. However, does anyone know if Aldi /Lidl will accept Visa Debit? I'd hate to be stuck bringing cash.

Yes, they both accept Visa Debit, I've used my card in both shops with no difficulty.

Some staff insist on Laser. I had awful trouble when Visa Debit came out first.

After initial skepticism, I persuaded my local guys to try my MasterCard debit card, with the "same as Laser / new Laser" argument.

I must remember to bring the front-door to the checkout the next time I encounter difficulties - thanks Doc.

I have never had a problem or issue with using my Visa Debit card in multiple branches of both Aldi and Lidl. The machines take them, but obviously some staff members dont know the difference between Visa Debit cards and Visa Credit cards.

If a staff member refuses to accept it, insist on talking to a manager.

I asked the Aldi cashier today and he confirmed that Visa Debit is accepted. He knew all about BofI changing over.

Yep, never had a problem paying with my Visa Debit card from Ulster.
Sometimes do still have that moment of wondering if it'll be rejected though

Can confirm I've used PTSB Visa Debit cards in both Aldi and Lidl, no issue with either!

just don't tell them! In my local aldi/lidl they just normally ask " cash or laser". I say laser and just shove my card in the machine myself!

Can confirm that UB Visa Debit not accepted anywhere in France (i.e. supermarkets, tolls, restaurants, pharmacies etc.). All accept UB Visa Credit card without any problem.

On Line Purchases

I've used the UB visa debit card a lot to purchase stuff on line and in most cases a site just asks you to enter your credit card details, and I just enter my debit card details and it has never failed.

It's amazing that aldi keep saying, 'cash or laser' at the till....

Are there many laser's around now, isn't there only one bank still using them.

Can confirm that UB Visa Debit not accepted anywhere in France (i.e. supermarkets, tolls, restaurants, pharmacies etc.). All accept UB Visa Credit card without any problem.

Strange, I had no such issued with a BOI Visa Debit. Is it UB policy?

I used my Ulster Bank VISA debit card in France in August with no problems. At least 5 transactions with no issues whatsoever.

Back