Minister for the Environment rules out rent controls

It's refreshing to see a new minister who can see that rent controls will not solve the problem.

While that is good news it doesn't solve the problem of the housing crisis in Dublin. Nor does Kelly have any solutions. The promise of properties not even commenced in the future will not solve today's problem.

Didn't we have a thread on this recently, might be an idea to merge them.

I would have though a minister from the Labour Party would at least have entertained the idea of rent controls, not rule out it out in totality within a week of taking office.

I would have though a minister from the Labour Party would at least have entertained the idea of rent controls, not rule out it out in totality within a week of taking office.

Why? If he's at all capable of doing a decent job as Minister, he surely has contemplated in advance at least some of the major issues surrounding his prospective Department.

How many individuals/couples own BTLs in Ireland? Quite a few (votes) I'd imagine.

I'm sorry but one line on a "hobby horse": his language is poor - instead of it being a personal thing (what's in his head), he would be better to speak about the research, evidence, experience, etc that leads him to understand that it is not a good policy option. Instead, we continue to live in a country where decisions that affect lives (health policy as a key area) are based on personal choices rather than strategic approaches that merge research with experience and everyday insights.

Why? If he's at all capable of doing a decent job as Minister, he surely has contemplated in advance at least some of the major issues surrounding his prospective Department.

How could he....no one knows what their new Dept will be until told by the Taoiseach. So he found out his new job about a week ago

Back