Tenant leaving 15 month lease early, landlord retains deposit.

I wouldnt be a landlord again for all the tea in China...or all the magnolia in Woodies!

If we have another property bubble I will probably get out myself. I regret not selling one property that was going for a mad price, but no doubt I may have then just invested again and maybe incorrectly.

Had a tenant recently send me an email while I was on holiday asking to pay no rent for the next two months as they were going back home to Bangladesh and would I paint the house and something about a door and smoke that I didn't understand. I've replied saying no to the rent and asking what he meant about the smoke, and no response so hopefully it's all forgotton in the excitment of going home. The house was painted less than two years ago. As I said on here before, my tenants walls have seen more paint than I as owner have on my own home.

And I don't do emails on holiday, so I late replying to him, plus I have an agent he could have asked, plus I had a relative in their doing work two months ago and nothing was mentioned that needed doing then.

Can I add?

Our tenant asked to renew lease for a second year to Spring next year. We agreed.We use a letting agent as don't live close by so we can't manage it ourselves.

They now wish to move out early (they are students). They asked to do a tenant assignment to get their deposit back. We are unhappy with this proposal as we rely of the agency's judgement of tenants to decide if suitable etc. As it's in their interest to find anyone to take over the lease, the quality of tenant might not be high.

Can we refuse this? We will have to pay €1,000 fee to the agent to cover the finder fee so their deposit just covers this.

Is it acceptable to refuse a request for a tenancy assignment and retain the deposit to cover the cost of letting.
If you refuse an assignment, the tenants are entitled to serve a 28 day Notice of Termination AND retain their deposit except for any damage.

As Bronte says, the landlord has the right to vet any new tenants of an assignment and to refuse unsuitable tenants according to the landlord's referencing criteria.

Back