Fading Red Patio Slabs

149oaks

After power hosing our patio the last few years the red has dulled from the stones and the aggregate stones are now showing through. Is there a sealer or anything else that I could put on to brighten/protect them?

Last edited:
It is, thanks 149oaks. The better title should get you a better response.

It might be worth checking what product(s) the imprinted concrete guys use to colour/seal their work?

I know Thompsons do a drive seal product that you can get in any builders providers or DIY store, but that may not restore the colour so much as just give a more gloss finish to the current colour.

I have this problem also, and sorry to be wise after the event but a natural granite will never fade, looks great when power washed and guess what, it is not much more expensive. You would have to look for a supplier, typically a small quarry in a granite area. The large outlets don't do it because they prefer to sell the manufactured product.

Replacing the paving is obviously a big expense, another option is to lift each stone and turn it upside down, the side that is presently on the bottom will not have weathered much if at all.

A lot of work but if you have the time you can probably diy and at least it wont cost anything. You should probably seal it then, no point in sealing the faded stuff.

As for recolouring the existing obviously you could paint it but I dont think that would work very well.

Back