Does a builder have to guarantee the construction of a house?

colin79ie

Just wondering if a builder has to guarantee that a structure will be sound for "x" amount of years. The cement holdng the ridge tiles on my roof is loosening. House 6 years old from new. I am worried about the watertight integrity of the roof structure.

Is there anything in the building regulations or indeed consumer legislation that I could approach him with?

As far as I know an engineer has to provide a completion or compliance certificate cert at the end of a build when he is happy that the construction is as it should be, they don't let builders away with anything as it would be on their heads. Do you recall anything like this at the end of the build, a bank would also require this certificate before releasing a loan for a build. This is what might cover you if you have it.

just to be straight, a certificate of compliance is not an insurance or guarantee against faults, if it is shown the faults are not caused by something required by the building regulations.

A cert of compliance is underwritten by a building professionals PI (professional indemnity) insurance.

The example you give above is not specifically referred to in the building regs. It may come under the 'workmanship' reg, but trying to proove that would be a nightmare. As the house is 6 years old it could be more appropriate for this fault to be considered a 'maintanence' issue. Every house needs constant maintanence to provide a sound habitat for its inhabitants.

...As the house is 6 years old it could be more appropriate for this fault to be considered a 'maintanence' issue. Every house needs constant maintanence to provide a sound habitat for its inhabitants.

I would say its needs periodic not constant maintanence.

You shouldn't have to redo ridge tiles every 6 years.

Did the builder have Homebond. This is the insurance that guarantees your house.

Back