07 Skoda Octavia having to top-up oil?

Just because one engine doesn't need topping up, doesn't mean another doesn't. Some engines are known for using oil and some aren't.

I just collected my 08 Octavia 1.9TDI today from main dealer. As I was leaving the forecourt he told me that the orange oil light may come on and he recommended I top up with 15/40 as necessary.

I would safely say 15/40 is incorrect!! Look in your manual it more than likely be 5/40. As 15/40 is very heavy oil for new engine.

I just collected my 08 Octavia 1.9TDI today from main dealer. As I was leaving the forecourt he told me that the orange oil light may come on and he recommended I top up with 15/40 as necessary.

He should really have told you to check the oil regularly rather than rely on the light coming on (in most cases these monitor oil pressure not level). The handbook will tell you which grade to use, dependent on whether you're on longlife servicing or not.

SSE

Fredg

I was reviewing this posting and <...personalised comments removed by moderator>.

The reasons behind TDI PD Engines using oil is simple:

VW, AUDI, SKODA, SEAT.... basically any car with a TDI engine, will out perform any other diesel car on the market today. I drive a TDI Passat and it uses oil. The Germans build their cars with the driver and driver experience in mind, hence stretching the capabilities of the engines more than the Japanese or Americans. The TDI PD engines use a powerful turbo which also needs oil to lubricate it, naturally it will use oil.

Also, your car is new..... It has not been "Ran In" yet, hence all piston rings, valves, turbo etc. are still new and not "settled" yet. The engine will start to use less oil as time progresses. My 02 Passat doesn't use any oil at all now between services...... it has 111K miles on it now.

And 30,000 Kilometer service interval..... definitely not.... I service all NEw (04-09) TDI's at the 15K kilometer mark. Oil cannot perform under that pressure for more than that.

Do a search on the net and you will find how to care for and "Run In" a TDI. They like to be driven, that is what they are built for.

Would you rather have a TDI that is fuel efficient and uses a bit of oil or a Toyota that is as dead as a door nail and needs no looking after?

Podge

Last edited by a moderator:
.....The reasons behind TDI PD Engines using oil is simple:

VW, AUDI, SKODA, SEAT.... basically any car with a TDI engine, will out perform any other diesel car on the market today. I drive a TDI Passat and it uses oil. The Germans build their cars with the driver and driver experience in mind, hence stretching the capabilities of the engines more than the Japanese or Americans. The TDI PD engines use a powerful turbo which also needs oil to lubricate it, naturally it will use oil.

Also, your car is new..... It has not been "Ran In" yet, hence all piston rings, valves, turbo etc. are still new and not "settled" yet. The engine will start to use less oil as time progresses. My 02 Passat doesn't use any oil at all now between services...... it has 111K miles on it now.

I disagree with a lot of that.

Modern VW group TDI engines are competitive, but the old 1.9 unit (the subject of this thread) is a crude relatively unrefined lump, and is a very old design.

Greater power doesn't necessarily mean greater oil consumption either.

The 07 Octavia has the current(PD) engine not the earlier 1.9 unit.

just literally spotted the newest post on subject,
thanks for all replies,
ive 45k up on car now and hav'nt replaced oil myself since.
v happy with my car and would recommend an octavia to anyone.
F.
ps does'nt the superp look just that.superp!

10 Octavia having to top up oil

If I had known that I would have to keep topping up oil on my Jan 10 Octavia I would not have bought it. I am very happy that Fredg has got it resolved, I am currently just over the 24K mark, had my first service at 16K but the oil light appeared before the first service but as I was passing the garage they topped up the oil for me, only for me to have to top it up a couple of K later, just before the first service, I also had it topped up at 22K and am now monitoring it weekly. I have had diesel engines before and never had to top them up. I don't need a new car where its oil has to be checked on a weekly basis and to be told SAD, you have to put up with it.

Back