Latest on opening Bank account in Newry

Boxette

Has anyone opened a bank account in Newry in 2012 and which one would you recommend. I live in border county so can easily visit Newry. What about a building society

I opened a current account with Ulster Bank in Newry about two months ago. I popped in with id, proof of address, utility bills and had the account opened in a matter of 25 minutes or so. The downside is that the account pays no 0% interest....however I view it as a good 'plan b' option if/when I decide to move some of my saving out of euros/Irl.

I was told that i could not open a savings account with UB. Other N.I banks or building societies may have such options.
You also need to be aware of the requirement to declare and interest/DIRT to Revenue, and the need to declare yourself a 'non-resident' to HM Revenue to avoid paying the UK 'Dirt' equivalent.

An offshore account, that sounds like a good idea, why hasn't anyone mentioned that before? Wait, maybe Brendan's written another excellent post on it, I'll post again after i've searched.

Nationwide UK (Ireland) Launches a range of Sterling saving accounts

I call them to day looking for some further information, something the girl in Nationwide said to me suprised me, she said they bank with Bank of Ireland
That Cant Be True.

I wanted to start a new thread with this but i don't see how to do

I call them to day looking for some further information, something the girl in Nationwide said to me suprised me, she said they bank with Bank of Ireland
That Cant Be True.

The clearing services are probably provided by BoI. The final resting place of the cash is unlikely to be BoI.

Nationwide UK (Ireland) Launches a range of Sterling saving accounts

If you want a sterling account, you'd be far better off holding it in the UK. Its a lot more secure in light of everything that's happening in the eurozone.

Back