Where should an ex-Civil Servant invest their lump-sum?

Retired Public Servants and their Lump Sums

With respect to the National Solidarity Bond Marc says:

"So, under any reasonable set of circumstances this would be a truely terrible recommendation for a retired civil servant."

If you put €100,000 into the 4 year NSB
You by my etimate will have €114,127 into your hands in 4 years time

As for inflation perhaps what the Retired Public Servant would be likely to purchase
would be less effected by any increased rate

"truely terrible" I think not

Investec Kick-Out Account

I have received information advertising this investment product. Can anyone advise on the details of this? I am unsure how the Kick-Out mechanism works and whether it is a wise option or not.

The post office saving plans have attractive interest rates compared to other deposits which are subject to DIRT. But (and it's a big "but"), the reward depends on leaving the deposit untouched for the entire period. You can get at your money earlier - but there's a penalty.

And what if inflation soars during the term? Spain's inflation is currently more than 20% per annum.

The real downside of the NTMA bonds is the length of time you have to lock your cash away for.

And what if inflation soars during the term? Spain's inflation is currently more than 20% per annum.

There is a kinked demand curve between inflation and unemployment... So unless there is a remarkable improvement in the economic situation this is not a very likely out come...

Oh and BTW, the Spanish inflation rate is about 2%!

stop loss

Was thinking about investing in say 10 blue chip shares paying a good dividend over a 10 to 15 year period.However i would like to put a 20 or 25 percent stop loss in place.I contacted several stockbrokers and they do not have this stop loss facility.I was just wondering does anyone know a stockbroker who can do this.Thanks.

Last edited:
Back