Expat in non-EU country; want to contribute to state pension

Sagit

I'm 31, Irish, and live in the middle east. I have contributed very small amounts to PRSI over the past 10 years, mainly from low-paying summer jobs while I was a student in Ireland.

I plan to stay in the middle east for many years, but would like to be able to draw an Irish state pension when I retire. Is there any way that I can pay a voluntary contribution to the Irish state pension authority so as to build an entitlement down the road? For example, could I voluntary remit, say, EUR 100 per month in the Irish state pension fund? I pay no social insurance in the country I live in.

As you live in a Non EU country you can become a voluntary contributor if:-
(a) Your last PRSI payment was within the previous year and
(b) you have already paid 468 contributions since you first started

It may be that I have made 468 contributions between 2003 and 2012 as I worked in various jobs, albeit all quite low paying. But my last PRSI payment would have been in August 2012.

Do you have any credits that would have brought you into 2013. Had you been on unemployment/jobseekers Benefit or Allowance after you finished work in August

Nope :-(
I'll call the department when they get back to work on Tuesday. Thanks for the help :)

I think the best thing to do right now is for you to log on to Welfare.ie and apply for a Statement of your PRSI contributions to date.

The old age pension may not be around in 37 years time, or at least not in its current format. As the money isn't ring fenced, you are running the risk of getting nothing at the end of it. If I was you, I'd stick the money into a savings plan of some sort and look after it yourself.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back