Defacto relationship - split up - financial responsibilities

maryeocdub

I have been in a defacto relationship for the past 7 years and it looks like it is time to end it. I would like to get an idea what kind of financial responsibility I have. Here are the facts.
1. I own the house which we share - he doesn't pay any rent
2. I pay the bills and he buys some of the food.
3. I have a job (permanent part-time). He has occasional work
4. I have quite a bit of money saved from a previous job
5. Reasons to split u - he is not contributing financially to the relationship and it looks like he is having an affair (I know I'm a fool)

He is in effect dependant on me but I do not have a high income. There is no real reason that he cannot find another job which would be more permanent (other than laziness and lack of confidence).

He is not from Ireland and does not yet have an Irish/EU passport.

I have 2 main questions
- What financial commitment do you think I have?
- Is there any way to minimise this?

Last edited:
maryeocdub;

He is not contributing in any way to the house ,I see nil financial responsibility to him.
So no need to minimize.
With Sandra on this.

You have no joint financial commitments, so it shouldn't be a complicated split.

From what you have said, not only is he having an affair, he is sponging off you as well.

Best of luck with everything.

Steven

Will he take this split be easily ? Be prepared just in case. Tell him you are splitting somewhere independent of the house i.e. a cafe or pub. Change the locks prior to this, ideally the same day.

I thought that the rules on cohabitation had changed and it means people have rights ?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...e_breakdown_of_a_cohabiting_relationship.html

particularly this bit:

However, if your relationship breaks down and your name is not on the title deeds to the house, you may still be able to show that you have some ownership rights in relation to the house. These rights are based on the fact that you made a contribution to the purchase price of the house with the intention of gaining a share in the ownership of the house.

However, if your relationship breaks down and your name is not on the title deeds to the house, you may still be able to show that you have some ownership rights in relation to the house. These rights are based on the fact that you made a contribution to the purchase price of the house with the intention of gaining a share in the ownership of the house.

From the OP, she owns the house and it doesn't appear as if he makes any contribution to the household besides buying some food.

From the OP, she owns the house and it doesn't appear as if he makes any contribution to the household besides buying some food.

Buying groceries can be considered a contribution. The only thing that I can recall that doesn't count, is looking after children. So if you pay for food, or pay for utilities etc, and your partner pays the mortgage, you are both contributing.

I assume the OP has a reason for asking this question. Best thing is for her to get him to voluntarily leave.

Back