irish water

I can't be bothered to return my form.
The fact that you "can't be bothered" claiming your €100 rebate says a lot.

Watched the debate yesterday. The looneys are staking an awful lot on a monster rally on December 10th. That is high risk for them. If they get their wish then it will be a very black day, a demonstration that mob rule is where we are at.

The looneys are staking an awful lot on a monster rally on December 10th. That is high risk for them. If they get their wish then it will be a very black day, a demonstration that mob rule is where we are at.

It'll be a washout. Since the cap has been put on it, most people won't have the bottle for another strike. Regarding the charges, I think these will be drip-fed to us over a number a years. IW will be a barren of a place to work and there'll be plenty more water under the bridge before this whole fiasco is sorted. Anyone for a cuppa?

Watched the debate yesterday. The looneys are staking an awful lot on a monster rally on December 10th. That is high risk for them. If they get their wish then it will be a very black day, a demonstration that mob rule is where we are at.

What's remarkable is that the leadership of the whiskered brotherhood is both organising the populist campaign against water charges and saying that their members in Irish Water will go on strike if their bonuses are not paid.
Running with the hare and hunting with the hound... or just hypocritical populists desperate to garner members to pay their €150'000 salaries.

What's remarkable is that the leadership of the whiskered brotherhood is both organising the populist campaign against water charges and saying that their members in Irish Water will go on strike if their bonuses are not paid.
Running with the hare and hunting with the hound

So true

... or just hypocritical populists desperate to garner members to pay their €150'000 salaries.

So true

Really? Does it say anything specific? I'm not bothered returning it for various reasons not least of which being that I'm not going to pay it. I'm opposed to direct water charges, though not ideologically opposed; I was open to persuasion but they failed on every level. I'll now take my chances as a holdout and expect that the Government's last throw of the dice will prove futile. Even those who will ultimately register, for whatever reason, should hold off until the new February deadline to give the Government a sweat over Christmas.

Running with the hare and hunting with the hound... or just hypocritical populists desperate to garner members to pay their €150'000 salaries.

I never supported the bonus thing but I have to say I find it odd that Irish water can unilaterally change people's contracts but every time we hear about senior executives and large pay packets with excessive pensions, we get told about the legal sanctity of employment contracts that must be respected. Odd how ordinary people can be treated different to senior bankers and senior civil servants.

I never supported the bonus thing but I have to say I find it odd that Irish water can unilaterally change people's contracts but every time we hear about senior executives and large pay packets with excessive pensions, we get told about the legal sanctity of employment contracts that must be respected. Odd how ordinary people can be treated different to senior bankers and senior civil servants.

From chatting to a number of Union members prior to last Tuesday's game it was obvious that there was a huge amount of disquiet surrounding this unilateral changing of contract terms in a semi - state body , there was an amount of confidence however that raising this matter with the industrial mechanisms of the State would remedy this alarming state of affairs.

I agree.
What's really alarming is that the bonuses were negotiated in order to replace increments so in reality the pay levels Irish Water are a better deal for the state than the county councils or most of the other semi-state's.

The Unions will be delighted to go back to the old system of annual increments, no questions asked.
The current system required a 'review' as to whether you merited your 'bonus' or not.

So a return to the old system will cost more money....but hey, at least people won't be shocked now, ringing Joe Duffy about bonuses being paid out!
Populism and short-termism win out as usual

Deise
Do you know if the workers in IW who came in from the Councils got:
a/ Disturbance money
b/ Some sort of recompense for the change in contracts from increments to bonus

Delboy , the local authority workers under service level agreements will continue to work for & be managed by the 34 Local Authorities to which they report to & work for - I believe that such agreement expires in 2025 , apparently the average age of such workers is 49 !

Their terms & conditions remain unchanged - such workers are Irish Water employees but are effectively seconded back to the local authorities , the bonus system applies only to the 400 staff directly employed by Irish Water.

An absolute dog's dinner !

I really can't fathom people's difficulty with providing a Pps number.

I collect these from every one of my students - approx 180 of them every single year. In total my colleagues and I will collect close to 400 PPS numbers each year.

Some people do not want to pay for anything. They have a huge sense of entitlement. So be it. But I don't wish to reduce my standards as a consequence.

There are many of us who have signed up to pay 800,000 out of 1.3 m and I have no regrets.

I would like to see an equal sharing of the expenses incurred in running the country.

There are those who will never contribute to anything but I will not stoop to their level.

Marion

I collect these from every one of my students - approx 180 of them every single year. In total my colleagues and I will collect close to 400 PPS numbers each year.

Some people do not want to pay for anything. They have a huge sense of entitlement. So be it. But I don't wish to reduce my standards as a consequence.

There are many of us who have signed up to pay 800,000 out of 1.3 m and I have no regrets.

I would like to see an equal sharing of the expenses incurred in running the country.

There are those who will never contribute to anything but I will not stoop to their level.

Marion
yeah but you no longer have provide your PPS number now....turns out its not really important anymore! you couldn't make this stuff up

Whatever! PPS or no PPS

The fact still remains that some people will always ride on the backs of others.

Marion

yeah but you no longer have provide your PPS number now....turns out its not really important anymore! you couldn't make this stuff up

The PPS was important when they were basing the free water allowance on the numbers per house. But that reasonable approach has been chucked because of pressure from a small minority who shouted loudest

Marion

Well said Marion. I think those still protesting will be more easily categorised from this point on, primarily I would imagine as the "won't pay because water is a human right" type group. Personally I'm still not happy with the quango that is Irish Water and would prefer we weren't carrying such a bloated burden on our public finances but unfortunately the conversation has not focussed on this enough yet due to all the furore over the rates. I certainly feel that everyone should pay for (and as a result should appreciate) the water they use, not just tax payers.

Marion

I agree completely.

Delboy , the local authority workers under service level agreements will continue to work for & be managed by the 34 Local Authorities to which they report to & work for - I believe that such agreement expires in 2025 , apparently the average age of such workers is 49 !

Their terms & conditions remain unchanged - such workers are Irish Water employees but are effectively seconded back to the local authorities , the bonus system applies only to the 400 staff directly employed by Irish Water.

An absolute dog's dinner !
When you say worker do you mean employee?
I presume there are contractors working for the Co. Councils who are "workers" but not employees.

The PPS was important when they were basing the free water allowance on the numbers per house. But that reasonable approach has been chucked because of pressure from a small minority who shouted loudest
but the free water allowance is hardly relevant anymore given the amount of properties that wont have water meters and therefore wont have to conserve water! also if the small minority you speak of is actually so small, then how come the government caved so much?

but the free water allowance is hardly relevant anymore given the amount of properties that wont have water meters and therefore wont have to conserve water! also if the small minority you speak of is actually so small, then how come the government caved so much?

No back bone

Back