No party wall in attic

snowy

Bit of background - I bought a house and it had no attic access so I got a hatch put in and a section of it floored recently. Its a split level so could only have half it floored for the moment. I had a quick look into and was happy with the space I had.

I got into the attic fully for the first time today and realised theres no party wall between me and the neighbour. Bigger problem is the real floor (ceiling from downstairs) is about 5 foot below so the gap is about 9 foot

Im certain its really important to have a fire wall here but im concerned that someone would have to lower themselves into the lower joists to try and build up and would anyone actually take on the job

has anyone had this issue and resolved it relativly easily.

Any help would be appreciated

It seems this is a common problem here and in England with old terraced houses. Google it and you will get plenty hits.

The main considerations appear to be:

1)Fire
2)Sound
3)Security

It seems this is a common problem here and in England with old terraced houses.

I think it's actually a new problem in Ireland with the apartments and houses being incorrectly fire proofed and it's not just attics that are a problem.

A good engineer is the way to go as another poster pointed out.

For anyone purchasing they should specifically ask their engineer to check out it the property is properly build but remember an engineer is not going to dig throw walls. So just be careful where you buy and stay away from estates built by dodgy builders.

House is actually 130 years old so not a dodgy developer problem:)

Ive a couple of builders coming out to look at it. Turns out its fairly standard to remedy

THanks for all the help

Back