Sickening Sick Leave

First thing I've to do when I get to work this morning is try to convince a colleague to heed his GP, who yesterday morning handed him a cert and told him to go home and go to bed for the rest of the week and let the steroids and antibiotics he's been on for weeks do their work... he's too busy and too conscientious to not come in though, so he came in yesterday and plans on coming in today as well.

That is interesting

This relates to teachers:
[broken link removed]

14. Resumption of Duty

14.1 It is expected that a teacher would be medically fit to resume full duties after a period of sick leave so that a resumption of duty would not induce a relapse into illness.

14.2 A teacher intending to resume duty prior to the date specified on her/his medical certificate, must provide a medical certificate of fitness from his/her attending doctor before the date of resumption. In the absence of such a certificate, the full period as recorded on the medical certificate(s) will be counted as sick leave. Certificates of fitness furnished at a later date will not be accepted as evidence of fitness for duty.

Marion

"Banking was, and in many ways still is, part of the Protected Sector which comprises the public and civil service"

Were bank employees subject to Croke Park; Haddington Road and Fempi?

I don't recall that they were.

Marion

I'm not saying that they were. I am saying that due to the nature of the sector; barriers to entry, unionised nature of employment and vital importance to the economy, banking cannot be seen in the same light as say restaurants and is not exposed to market forces in the same way. They same can be said for most of the financial sector. The so-called commercial semi-state companies are also part of that sector.
In the past Irish Steel and other state subsidised companies and businesses that were considered to be of strategic importance would have been part of it as well.
The thing they all have in common is that they are heavily unionised and operate in sectors which have big barriers to entry and so are not exposed to market forces as much as other sectors.
The problem with high barriers is that when they break the flood is of biblical proportions.

Back