Loan to family member gone bad

Cuba

Hi All,

I loaned €5,000 to a family member 4 years ago. He has paid back €1,000 but we have since fallen out and he is now not responding to any of my calls or emails and I am getting worried that he is not intending to pay back the remainder of what he owes me.

The only proof of the outstanding amount he owes me are his previous emails to me acknowledging how much he has paid and how much he still owes me. What should I do next in order to get him to pay me back, any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Do I have a leg to stand on if I need to go down the legal route?

Hi, Unfortunate position but it happens.

A face to face meeting would be more fruitful than phone or email which are too impersonal. If he won't willingly meet, you may have to contrive a situation.

Are you aware that he might be under pressure financially other than his debt to you? Or that he has other personal difficulties? Is he gambling or drinking? If so he needs help.

He may be quite embarrassed about this, so to assist you both, tread softly, initially. You know this family member best, so you know why you gave the loan to help him and what you expected thereafter. He has let you down but why?

Going down a legal route would be costly and given the sum involved not worth it. Even if you did I think a Judge would tell you both to sit down and work it out.

Anyway, going the legal route with a family member is never a pretty sight.
You and he must talk. Good luck.

If you are prepared to do some work - go to District Court and ask the Clerk to assist you in drawing up a summons under the Petty Sessions Act 1851. Make sue you have all your facts and the emails should be sufficient. Be prepared to follow through.

Not that its much help to you now; but I always thought my mothers advice in this regard was the best, neverv loan money to family, give it freely if you are asked and you can afford to do so. That way there will never be a falling out.

Back