3G iPhone/O2 alternatives

If you source the iphone elsewhere you don't have to take the iphone tariff.

I know - that's the whole point of the discussion. As per my comment:

No, but it is a reason to go looking for an unlocked one, or an alternative device.

I believe that the total cost of the iPhone with O2 iPhone tariffs and the 18 month contract is unreasonable.

But if you want an O2 iPhone you have to go for the iPhone tariffs, so there is little flexibility. Plus I believe it's a minimum 18 month contract..

You were talking about the cost of 02's data being a poor deal on those tariffs. So you can use "unlocked one, or an alternative device" if thats what you want to do.

I wouldn't entirely agree on that - many other phones are a couple of hundred euros (my last one I paid €150 I think). Over the 18 month iPhone contract you will pay a minimum of €810 in tariffs, not €20 a month.

150 might be a lot or not depending on the tariff you got it with. Besides if you are making hardly any calls, or text I can't see the logic in spending a lot of money on a device that you hardly use. But you can spend your money as you wish! As a gadget lover thats the price you pay.

I have any number of gadgets - this is just another that happens to also be a phone. I want the phone but not the €810 that goes with it. (And no, the iPod Touch is not an acceptable compromise for me).

Well I though wanted the data package, not that you just want the phone for gadet sake. In that case, if you are not making much use of the phone part, you are going the balance in a more expensive unlocked phone. Thats the way it works with out mobiles too. Prepay is more expensive for phone than bill pay. Cost of calls balances the cost of the device.

Fair enough, but in that case there should be some compromise on unlocking for these people.

Has to be financially worthwhile for 02. They can't survive on goodwill alone.

In reality the iPhone is just another phone - it should use standard tariffs, it shouldn't be seen as an opportunity to extract extra revenue from the customer beyond the standard tariffs.

Well its not just a phone. The phone part nots that grate. Its really just the current most fashionable gadet. So why not make money on it. Thats what business do. Try to make a profit, as much as they can.

It is completely unreasonable.

Can o2 take any action if they discover you have sourced an iphone off network?

...I believe that the total cost of the iPhone with O2 iPhone tariffs and the 18 month contract is unreasonable.

Apple and O2 are just out to make a fast buck. Why unreasonable? Its a luxury item, they can charge what they want. From a business point of view it makes sense. Apple have always been good at engineering bigger profit margains than other similar companies.

You were talking about the cost of 02's data being a poor deal on those tariffs. So you can use "unlocked one, or an alternative device" if thats what you want to do.
I might, but I want to dispel the myth that the O2 iPhone tariffs are reasonable. They aren't.
Well I though wanted the data package, not that you just want the phone for gadet sake.
I want the gadget but would plan to use it...and as I have shown, the data cost for the O2 iPhone tariff is not very competitive.

Has to be financially worthwhile for 02. They can't survive on goodwill alone.
If I was to pay full whack for the device with a 'legitimate' O2 non iPhone tariff iPhone, then how is it not financially worthwhile? They would still get standard tariff every month. Neither party to the deal should have to be a charity...
As for goodwill, they don't have much of that after the upgrade debacle.

Lets face it you're not chasing value for money if you want an iPhone.

Why not - because O2 say so? I see the device as being value for money, just not the tariff structure they are enforcing including the minimum 18 months.

I might, but I want to dispel the myth that the O2 iPhone tariffs are reasonable. They aren't.

I want the gadget but would plan to use it...and as I have shown, the data cost for the O2 iPhone tariff is not very competitive..

Reasonable is not the same as competitive.

You're not comparing like with like. One with less talk and text.

If I was to pay full whack for the device with a 'legitimate' O2 non iPhone tariff iPhone, then how is it not financially worthwhile? They would still get standard tariff every month. Neither party to the deal should have to be a charity...

You wouldn't want that. Its more expensive (on O2) to get the same data + standard tariff than the iPhone tariffs. The trade off of getting better data in the iPhone is that you lose things like roll over minutes, text and shorter contracts, 30 day and 12 month. I'd say most people with low calls and text use, buy inexpensive phones aswell.

O2 make their money on calls and texts. If you buy a €20 phone and spend hardly anything on calls or texts, they don't make money on you, so hence they won't give you an upgrade. I'd say they make hardly any money on the iPhone, so they are not interested in selling them to people who don't make calls etc.

As for goodwill, they don't have much of that after the upgrade debacle.

True. Its probably going to cost them more than they save.

After all that I should probably admit I'm currently on vodafone...

I'm on 02, but because 90% of who I call is on it, so its just cheaper, and free webtext to UK. I was thinking of an iPhone, but lost the upgrade, and they didn't have stock when I did have an upgrade. But I'm trying to cut cost now, So they ain't getting much from me.

Another option is the HTC Touch HD....getting rave reviews.
But you will have to source abroad or on expansys.ie

HTC Touch HD is €664.99 (+ del?). So its good bit more expensive.

Have to say I'm still tempted by the iPhone because the touch sensitive screen works much better for me than other phones I've tried. The predictive text works well and I'd like access to the web where ever you are, and its an ok data bundle for Ireland. The 18 month contract puts me off as does no carry over minutes, and I'd like a better camera tbh.

Back