Seperation & Maintenance For Spouse & 4 Children

fionn2011

I am going throu significant marital difficulties, the reasons for which I do not wish to detail. I have 4 kids aged 1-9, and my wife works full time at home. House worth approx 600K (???), with 100K left on mortgage, joint savings 120K + some small additional savings wife is unaware of.

I'm aware of the distinction between seperation & divorce, that family law case settlements are not reported on, rights to family home etc and that settlements are reviewable....

In very rough terms, what level of child maintenance/ spousal support / impact on pension (accumulated to date in marriage only or in future also?) that is likely to have to be paid, and is it a fixed amount or a % of ones overall after tax income? If wife stays in family home and I can't access any of the equity in the home at present, does this lower the amount of maintenance? Wife is adamant she will not work outside the home.

My after tax income is approx 80K and dropping...

Any general pointers would be helpful

Not sure about the whole maintenance thing but from a fairness point of view and for moving forward in a positive way would there be a possibility of disposing of the family property and buying two properties and leave yourself mortgage free.
Not sure if you are separated already or just in the discussion stage, but your wife/ex-wife would prob be entitled to one parent family allowance and also she would be in receipt of children's allowance. How often would you intend taking the kids.
I wish you well in any case.
some others on here would have a better idea about maintenance.

If I can suggest, professional help may often be the quickest & most economic route, all things considered. They should be in a knowledgeable position to guide on your query. The Mediators Institute of Ireland gives lists of qualified professionals. By the way, it's only assets, incl pensions, accumulated up to date of court order (& value at that date) that are considered. I've heard people going on about projected pensions at normal retirement age, etc, which I don't think is referred to at all in the relevant legislation? Perhaps someone disagrees & maybe point me to where it says otherwise? I wish you well fionn2011 & hope you get things sorted without undue hassle.

that family law case settlements are not reported on, ....

In very rough terms, what level of child maintenance/ spousal support / impact on pension (accumulated to date in marriage only or in future also?) that is likely to have to be paid, and is it a fixed amount or a % of ones overall after tax income?

Bit in bold is not strictly true. The Courts Service now produce reports of cases (since 2007) from the Family Law Court...link is below. they give a useful indication of how certain cases in this area are treated, while all cases are different you might want to take a look at them..

[broken link removed]

Back