Solicitor for house purchase - Limerick

S

Santa Claus

Hi all,

can anyone recommend a good corrupt (joke !) solicitor in the Limerick area ?
I need to appoint one for a house purchase in Dooradoyle.

Last time I was purchasing in the Dublin area I got one from posting here, was quite funny as he was painted as unfriendly and cheap but gets the job done. When I mentioned about getting his name through askaboutmoney he replied "any publicity is good publicity" !!!!

Thanks in advance,

Santa

It might make sense to use him again. I don't think there's any reason why a solicitor in Dublin for example can't act in relation to a transaction in Limerick.

Makes sense to use a solicitor based wherever you live - rather than address of property. Purchaser needs to sign Contract, Mortgage ( & relateds) and Deed which can be one, two or three visits to the solicitor depending on each set of circumstances. For all kinds of reasons, the solicitor should be physically witnessing the signature of the purchaser.

mf

What kind of reasons are they? In UK there are conveyancing services provided on the basis that 'no meetings are necessary'; what is different in this jurisdiction?

afraid i can't help recommend - ive used both cheap and expensive ones and they are equally useless

When I bought I used Breen Geary McCarthy and Shea in Hartstonge Street and was happy enough with their service and their fees

I used them too and was happy. You are quite entitled to ask for a quote up front as to how much they will charge

I am using Homelawdirect at the moment. I am buying a house in Co. Limerick. They have a set fee. I find them okay.

"What kind of reasons are they? In UK there are conveyancing services provided on the basis that 'no meetings are necessary'; what is different in this jurisdiction?"

When mortgage falls into arrears and mortgagor/ mortgagors wife claims that that is not his/her signature?

mf

Good luck with Homelawdirect!! All I will say is, you get what you pay for. They appear to have got too busy to deal with new clients and from personal experience, they do not give a great service. Would recommend Donal Houlihan in Thorntons, O'Connell Street - good lad who gets the job done efficiently.

Makes sense to use a solicitor based wherever you live - rather than address of property. Purchaser needs to sign Contract, Mortgage ( & relateds) and Deed which can be one, two or three visits to the solicitor depending on each set of circumstances. For all kinds of reasons, the solicitor should be physically witnessing the signature of the purchaser.

mf

Hi mf

Funnily enough my own solicitor is based almost 2 hours drive away from me. I use him because he is very knowledgeable, reliable and honest. Its a little inconvenient having to travel to meet him once in a blue moon (most of our communications are via phone & fax) but worth it in my opinion - a lot better than getting possibly inferior advice or service from someone a lot closer to me. I found out to my cost a number of years ago that some of the solicitors in my own neck of the woods are a little too close to comfort to the major property developers in the area and as such are reluctant to take cases against them, presumably for fear of losing custom from said developers. Much better to have someone genuinely independent acting for me - even if they occasionally cost me an extra fill of petrol.

Interesting MFI. Are you saying that the Solicitor acting for the Purchaser can also act and advise the wife in giving her consent under FHPA? Certainly this is not my understanding - I have always taken the view that any advice and witnessing of a wifes written consent should be done by an another independent Solicitor, and not the one acting for the purchaser.

However, in reality most mortgage applications are in both names, and if it is an issue of a fraudulent signature, what is to stop some person representing themselves to a Solicitor as Mrs X, and even producing some fake id to that effect, in the event that the Solicitor does in fact ask.

If it is just witnessing the wifes signature there are imo reasonable solutions other than actually attending at a Solicitors office (e.g. affidavit of an attesting witness who actually knows Mrs X). As per last poster, if it comes down to a choice, a good Solicitor is preferable to a local Solicitor.

I used Orla Nestor in Limerick City and found her to be very good- no problems. I can't remember the fees.

I'm thinking of one particular situation where the wife ( also a joint owner) had just had a baby, hubbie was doing a top up, wife could not come in so hubbie asked if solicitor would send out the Mortgage Deed and he and she would both sign and return.

Marriage splits and wife says that is not my signature - was it? Or was she hanging the solicitor out to dry?

"if it is an issue of a fraudulent signature, what is to stop some person representing themselves to a Solicitor as Mrs X, and even producing some fake id to that effect, in the event that the Solicitor does in fact ask. "

Most of us will be very wary of new clients. I will always insist on i.d. for any new clients.

"If it is just witnessing the wifes signature there are imo reasonable solutions other than actually attending at a Solicitors office (e.g. affidavit of an attesting witness who actually knows Mrs X)."

No - thats not acceptable. Most lenders insist that we physically witness the signatures - presumably so we can give evidence in the event of an issue arising.

mf

Mf, I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I do not think that a Solicitor acting for a hubbie who is topping up a loan can independently advise his wife for the purposes of the FHPA, and witnessing the wifes signature would, in my experience, be open to challenge.

There are many different situations. In a conflict situation (e.g. parties separating ) it would be inappropriate for one solicitor to be involved with both. In a situation e.g. where a husband is buying and mortgaging an investment property in his sole name and the mortgagee requires a consent to mortgage from the wife, very few people are willing to incur the expense of a third party solicitor. In those circumstances, it is perfectly acceptable for one solicitor to act for the husband, advise the wife of what she is signing, advise her to seek independent advice if she wishes, and witness her signature on the consent.

mf

Thought I ask my question here as opposed to a new thread.

Buying a bigger house, can anyone recommend a solicitor in Limerick (city or county) and how much will it likely cost. The house is nine years old with one owner. Thanks

hi, i would highly recommend Elizabeth Ronan of O Donovan and partners, she handled both of my house sales and purchases ,and was extremely fast and on the ball with everything, even when i had a problem a year after sale she had it sorted with builder within a week, her fees are i assume standard but iguarantee you will have no problems with her, hope this helps

Thought I ask my question here as opposed to a new thread.

Buying a bigger house, can anyone recommend a solicitor in Limerick (city or county) and how much will it likely cost. The house is nine years old with one owner. Thanks

I dealt with a number of solicitors and one that sticks out is one that I never actually had to speak with (even though she handled many deals) which means that she was very efficient and that is Etain Boyce, Dooradoyle. Price wise I'd budget 1000-1500 depending on size of job but everyone is negotiable.

Back