Planning - Exemption Refused

LovelyHome

Hi. We are in the process of developing a semi-detached with a granny flat attached. We were going to extend by two stories, but then decided that because of the lengthy wait for planning, that we would just go ahead and do a single story kitchen extension at the back.

We thought it was withing the 40 square meters for planning, and went ahead and applied for a cert. of exemption as we were knocking an old extension and replacing it with a bigger one.

It was only today we got a registered letter from Council saying it was refused due to us replacing the old flat roofs with pitched roofs. Honestly, the old flat roofs were a complete eyesore in the area and every other house has a pitched roof. My engineer also just told me that because the granny flat was a garage originally, then it is counted as the 40 sq meters which means that technically we are now over by about 10sq meters which means we needed to apply for planning but weren't aware of it.

What's the best thing to do now?
Should we apply now for retention? (The house is almost done and we are moving into it in a month or so.)
What if they don't give us retention. Will we have to demolish?

Or should we stay under the radar until we need to sell it and then apply for retention.

It's scary really as we honestly thought we were improving the house as it was a decrepid kip beforehand.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Back