He paid for home.

froggy

A friend made all mortgage repayments on house and on being made redundant recently he used his payoff and cleared the mortgage. 3 days later - out of the blue-his wife told him she wanted him out- he luckily stayed put and she has recently moved out(sadly with children) into rented accomodation. ( she took nearly everything in house including light bulbs)!!He remains unemployed- she is in permanent full time pensionable public sector high earning job! whats his chance of getting house into his name only??

"HE paid for home.'

Really? Despite his wife being in a permanent fulltime pensionable high paying public sector job?

What did she do with her money- save every last cent in an off-shore account? Or maybe she frittered it all away on Jimmy Choo shoes?

His chances are slim to none, unless he took care of all the household bills too.

It's a common enough arrangement where 2 people are working - husband pays the mortgage, wife pays the bills. That doesn't mean that the husband owns the property.

In any event the court will decide as part of separation/divorce proceedings, and they can make any decision they feel fair. Bear in mind that one of the Constitutional requirements for a divorce is "proper provision for the children".

in fairness he a good mate and i know its the truth- he showed me proof it was him paying everything-including bills! Seems v unfair that law seems to revolve around woman !! Poor guy feel sorry for him.

50/50 split on the home (seen this at close hand) but in reality he'll probably loose more as maintenance on the children (assuming he finds work).

will it not stand to him that he is one living there? he devastated. Think he should go for custody myself as he was the one who did everything with and for the kids!

Most likely outcome is they will agree a settlement, this may mean he buys her out or the house is sold and the proceeds split, usually the latter down the line.

One golden nugget of advice (it's hard to take I know) is to stay on good terms with her, it'll work in both their favours in the long term reducing legal costs etc.

will pass it on believe me the poor lad has tried- everything- but there is a line and she crossed it-things she has said and done not right!! well so long as he gets fair share- she was awful busy trying to leave him with nothing!

in fairness he a good mate and i know its the truth- he showed me proof it was him paying everything-including bills! Seems v unfair that law seems to revolve around woman !! Poor guy feel sorry for him.

I completely disagree with this statement. First of all, your mate made the choice to pay everything, the law did not force him to do so.
The law does not 'revolve' around the woman. The law is in place to protect the contract that your mate CHOSE to enter into - to get married. Marraige is a legally and morally binding contract, if you decide to get married, and pay for everything and then your marraige partner leaves you it is hardly the fault of the law that you made that choice to pay for everything.

ok but the law does tend to favour the woman in all matters pertaining to family law- thats why those guys are out every fathers day protesting!!!Ask one of them!! He may have made the decison to pay for everything but that doesnt mean he should be left with nothing eh!

ok but the law does tend to favour the woman in all matters pertaining to family law- thats why those guys are out every fathers day protesting!!!Ask one of them!! He may have made the decison to pay for everything but that doesnt mean he should be left with nothing eh!

How exactly will he be left with 'nothing'? He will get a 50/50 split on the property and he will be required to pay maintenance if she keeps the kids. How is that him left with 'nothing'?

I dont think that the law does favour the woman actually, I think that is an illusion. The guys out protesting on fathers day were not husbands, in a husband/wife situation the law does not particularly favour the woman at all.

so long as it s a fair split as i said previously then thats ok- like i said she is busy doing all sorts to leave him with nothing which is why i posted the initial question. And the equality for fathers groups are petitioning the government on behalf of all men whe it comes to law .

! i simply was looking into an issue for a mate that has piled all his redundancy money into a house where he thougt he was happily married! House paid for when you are in your 30's is an achiievement and i feel sorry for the lad siple as- thats why i posted. if there is nothin constuctive to post then dont bother thanks.

What your friend needs to do is to see a solicitor who will take full details of all assets, debts, income, outgoings and liabilities of both parties. Looking then at how BOTH parties want to proceed , a solicitor will be in a betetr position to advise how a Court would deal with the parties finances if they appear before the Court.

Most people should try and resolve their differences and a good solicitor will advise the form of settlement that a Court would find acceptable.

If the parties cannot agree on the way forward it is open to either party to commence Judicial Separation proceedings.

And sniping at other posters does not make anyone's case or situation better.

mf

just in case anyone wondering i am not the man in question i am one of his best mates and the reason i am doing ths is cos she also took the home computer!

is this guy all there upstairs??

if all she takes is the stuff in the house then he is a lucky man, she can get half the house if she wants.

Back