Belarmine Plaza

I'm not sure why ask for advice if you only want to hear positive feedback.

You say in the OP "I suppose in a worse case scenario I can rent a rent a room and get at least €450 a month for it." Did you do a search on daft.ie? I just did, and rooms in Castleknock start at €275. That's your worst case scenario.

Am just curious, but why was foghorn banned for that last piece of advice?

Hi - I too am in the process of buying a 1 bedroomed apartment in Belarmine Plaza through the easi steps scheme. It's all happened very quickly and I'm still a little unsure. I too am tired of renting and sharing. I don't know this area very well at all and had no idea about a proposed halting site although I did see the signs for the affordable housing. I don't drive so have to rely on public transport and wonder how best to get to Blackrock from there. I finish work late at night, how safe is it for walking from where ever the bus drops me off to get to the apartment? And I would be interested to know what people think of the easi steps scheme?

I think Belarmine represents the best value you can get on the southside at the moment. As for the neighbourhood - it is a mix of people from the very wealthy, to young professionals/young families, to those in rented private or council owned properties. Take a walk through the development in the afternoon and you'll pass people out running, walking dogs, couples with babies, children playing in the playground etc. People tend to say hello to each other a lot while out walking which is something kind of rare in many developments now. There's a nice feeling of it being a real neighbourhood, not just anonymous apt blocks. Many people rent or buy small properties there initally and then want to remain in the area when they move up the property ladder, I think this is a very good sign.

Prices are low now because the builders want to get rid of recently built apts before prices fall any further. When the remaining units are sold I think prices for resale will compare favourably with other areas where you can currently buy at the same price.

As for walking there at night time; I would say it is safer than anywhere else you could buy at the same price. Personally I bought there because I wanted to be able to go for walks alone in the evening and didn't want to worry about anti-social behaviour. There are lovely green areas with streams and nice mature trees for walking around. Take the same care you would walking anywhere late at night. It's not as exclusive as somewhere like foxrock, but much safer than places like the docklands, city centre, blanchardstown, santry, tallaght, areas of lucan etc.

The 47 bus would be outside your door and would take you as far as stillorgan/donnybrook. 44 goes through the village and goes from Enniskerry to city centre. There are other buses too from lambs cross and I think one of these goes to Blackrock. Luas will be within short walk next year.

The halting site has been delayed and people are still objecting to it. Looks like it mightn't ever get the go ahead. If it does go ahead it is a four unit site only which is isn't big and it's not the same site as Belarmine. Would have a separate entrance down the road.

The presence of affordable housing won't effect anyone buying at current prices. I bought under affordable housing and paid more than you will pay for your place now - so I couldn't undercut you when it comes to selling. The people who are negatively effected by affordable housing are those who bought 2 beds for 450k - and they are more effected by you buying for even lower prices now. What's more those who bought on affordable are all young educated professional owner occupiers - much better than having investors renting out beside you. Bulk of affordable units will most likely sell now on the open market privately as prices have fallen and govt has given the go ahead to sell them to the general public.

As for parking, it depends on the particular development. I have an allocated parking space.

I think Belarmine represents the best value you can get on the southside at the moment. As for the neighbourhood - it is a mix of people from the very wealthy, to young professionals/young families, to those in rented private or council owned properties. Take a walk through the ..................As for parking, it depends on the particular development. I have an allocated parking space.

I will second this opinion. I live in Aikens Village (neighbouring development) and have not had much of a problem in the area. I will say two things though:

1) From the last AGM/meeting for the maangement company, we were advised to not leave anything valuable in our cars as there had been a few brea-ins (however, you should never leave anything valuable in your car!!!)

2) Shops in the area aer poor. Belarmine is meant to get a nice supermarket in June, so hopefully it isn't a rip-off SPAR etc. One other thing here, a Bookies is meant to be going in, and I'm not too big a fan of this, as it will be directly opposite the social housing and may have some people hanging around outside (this is not meant as a snobish remark...just what I have seen from other bookies in the area).

I may be incorrect with the above, if so I'm sure someone else will correct me!

I think the shops are grand. Dundrum shopping centre is 5 minutes away by car. Two convenience stores and two butchers are within 5 minutes walk in the village and at lambs cross. I wouldn't want to be any nearer to a major shopping centre. The shop going in to Belarmine Plaza is an upmarket grocery store like Donnybrook Fair - obviously they think the area is pretty plush!? Ha, ha, don't they know we're all being bit hit by the recession?

As for the social housing comments re bookies... I do think that might cause offence! The people that have been given social housing there are generally single mothers from the area - normal people. They haven't been given to random people that couldn't be housed.

There is a bookies in Dundrum and I don't see people hanging around outside it? I agree though, don't like bookies and would rather they weren't there. I think the bookies just opened in the village. I was told the only thing confirmed for the plaza was the grocery store so far.

I have heard the original planning has had to be changed, they were looking to put in a chipper or something similar but I'm under the impression that this has been changed.

On a side note, have you been to the shops in Sandyford Hall much in the evenings/nights? Pain in the ass, always a lot of kids knocking around being ageneral nuisance, I'm just hoping this isn't the case for our shops. Darned kids!

Just wondering does anybody know about the general finish of the apartments and the sound proofing. I know some apartments have paper thin walls and would hate to end up buying somewhere like that. Also is there somewhere you can view a full list of the shops going into Belarmine Plaza. I know a few have been mentioned already on the post.

I doubt they have a full list of shops yet, as they most likely haven't sold all the space.

Haven't heard anything about Belarmine having poor sound proofing, I know my apartment in Aikens Vilalge has tremendous sound proofing (which helps heating!) as I never hear a thing. Either that, or I'm the annoying loud neighbour that everyone else hears!

Thank you all for your replies especially Cheeus (you sure you don't work for Castlethorn - you sell the place very well) I feel much happier now about my decision and fingers crossed things work out.

Thank you all for your replies especially Cheeus (you sure you don't work for Castlethorn - you sell the place very well) I feel much happier now about my decision and fingers crossed things work out.

Oh I'm sorry, don't want to mislead you...
I bought in the belarmine area but bought in the beflry which is a flemmings development. That's why I didn't comment on the building, just the area!

Looking at the apartments what is putting me off is the fact they are above shops. You would have some many people and traffic coming and going not to talk of people just hanging around outside the shops, its not for me.

Hi all,
I see that these posts are quite old but am just wondering if any of the posters actually went ahead and bought at Belarmine plaza and if so how did they get on. I saw an apartment there recently and am very interested in it but would like to get some feedback from people who live/bought there before I make any decisions. Thanks!

Back