Motor insurance 123.ie is there a catch?

I was going to renew my car insurance with 123.ie .

However there is an extra € 20 for direct debit payments AND they want a 30% deposit .

This does not suit me ............. , I am staying with Quinn D.

I was under the impression that if anyone wants pay their insurance by instalment there was 3 months upfront and a finance charge? There was the last time I did so (a few years ago I'll admit) when with Quinn Direct.

Are Quinn Direct now offering 12 monthly instalments interest free?

I have to agree with what people are saying about FBD, they really seem to pricing themselves out of the market.

My insurance is due in early March, I recieved my renewal notice today and was completely surprised to see that the quote had gone up €450 from what I paid last year. The quote is €1900.

I'm in the unfortunate position of having a young named driver on the policy so that explains the high quotes. The policy is as follows; main driver female 50, full NCB 20+ driving experience without one claim - second driver male, 20, 3 years NDE and 3 years driving experience. The car is a 1.6 Copper, value circa €20K.

For some unknown reason FBD seem to think that a Copper is actually a Copper S, idiots!

Anyway to sum the post up; FBD €1,900, Chill €1,140, 123.ie won't quote, Quinn won't quote, Hibernian 1,325.

Got a quote from FBD on a BMW 325D with all the same info as above for €1,680.... It's a complete joke the way they just seem to pick prices out of the sky.

House Insurance across the board has gone up this year. Read the papers.

There is an 8% interest on all direct debits, alot of companies wont tell you this. Also every motor insurance policie requires you to pay 30% up front.

I got a renewal quaote (comprehensive) from Allianz for 620 euros but ensure.ie gave me AXA for 593 euros (including the 10 euro charge for AIG), 123.ie quote me for 615 euros. It is more than i pay last year but i found that AXA will not cover the driver and passenger, moving on, i shop around and found 25plus.ie and got a quote for 433 euros including everything on a comprehensive insurance should be. suggestion..... shop around.....

123 car insurance (is there a catch?)

I'm with 123 since July 2009 Fully Comp for 290e, because i was in a car crash this year i'v had to pay an extra 50e so far for administration fees. I'm not covered to drive other cars and get a courtesy car you have to pay extra. i will be shopping around this year.

Also with 123.ie, Travellers. They also include NCB protection but was disappointed when I had to pay €15 to transfer insurance for courtesy car when own car was in garage for service.

Previously was also with FBD and girl in local office said they had a budget fund and some discression to reduce premiums but this was taken from them.

In fairness, 123.ie are a tied agent to Travelers on their car and household. So they cant requote you with any other company if you dont fit the criteria.

With regards to their charges, they are set out in their terms of business which they are obliged to provide you at the quotation stage. And it tells you in it that they will charge for temporary changes, permanent changes, letters of indemnity, duplicate documents, suspending your policy.

Stolen and burnt

I am insured with 123.ie..............I will not use them again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am insured with 123.ie but they will not honour their insurance policy to me.

Avoid at all costs!!!

This company is full of hidden charges.
I was with them for three years and in that time they made a fortune from me.

€40 for a letter, €25 for a disc, €40 admin fees on EVERYTHING!!! Recently changed me €137.50 for canceling my policy. :-O

This is an extract from the email. "Please note that the €40 policy set up is non-refundable once paid and the direct debit service charge of €57.38 will also be retained. A €40 cancellation fee will also be deducted from any refund due." That's €137.50 from my €284 deposit gone on admin fees. Anyway I've filled my complaint with them and in 30 days I'm going to the ombudsman. I think i'll spend the next few days writing reviews/warnings on every site I can. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! If you're not convinced then just type"123.ie insurance review" into google.

You don't stand much of a chance. It's clearly stated in their Terms of Business.

I was doing some quotes for the brother recently and 123.ie came out the cheapest with their headline rate but as said have charges for everything and don't offer open driving which was a strict requirement for him. Ended up going with Aviva direct for €20 more which included everything he needed.

I would think long and hard before ever considering 123.

I don't like they way they try year on year to push your premium up, even if you've had another year of claim free driving.

However, on the flip side of the coin I will say this, I had to put a small claim in on windscreen cover over the past 6 months (no renewal since, before anyone asks) and their staff were very helpful, the claim was processed quickly etc. so credit where it's due.

My wife had massive problems with Zurich years ago when trying to get a claim settled, even though it was clear to a blind mand that the claim was legit etc. & she ended up having to put a complaint into the Ombudsman to get paid, so it's not always about the cheapest premium I guess !

I don't like they way they try year on year to push your premium up, even if you've had another year of claim free driving.

My renewals with 123 on both house and car dropped this year compared to last year, this was around February. Both were around 350 Euro. I have 4 year no claims discount on the car and never claimed on house or car insurance apart from windscreen damage.

My renewals with 123 on both house and car dropped this year compared to last year, this was around February. Both were around 350 Euro. I have 4 year no claims discount on the car and never claimed on house or car insurance apart from windscreen damage.

Very interesting, my own car renewal is around the same time. Perhaps it depends on the type of car, area you live in ... or what they think they can get away with. Like you, I have more than one policy with them. Same last year ...

we are with 123.ie for car insurance and found them fine.

whats the deal with FBD? They are absolutely crazy prices for premiums. Got quoted 1300 for a commercial van, went to insuremyvan.com and they got me fully comp with aviva for 360 euro!

....whats the deal with FBD? They are absolutely crazy prices for premiums. Got quoted 1300 for a commercial van, went to insuremyvan.com and they got me fully comp with aviva for 360 euro!

It's "no nonsense" with FBD, just complete madness when it comes to quoting for business over recent years, in my own experience.

Back