Travel Insurance with pre-existing health condition

fobs

My husband has a heart condition (has a defibrillator fitted) but is in good health otherwise. We are going to Portugal in August (with 2 kids) and want to purchase travel insurance. We have used VHI in the past (they dont ask about health condition). Is this the only option for someone with health issues?

Hi there, would the Irish Heart Foundation be able to suggest an insurance company? My other half is a Diabetic and the Irish Diabetic Federation gave her the name of a broker they use. I don't think I can name them here. Hope that might help. Happy Holidays!

Hi there, would the Irish Heart Foundation be able to suggest an insurance company? My other half is a Diabetic and the Irish Diabetic Federation gave her the name of a broker they use. I don't think I can name them here. Hope that might help. Happy Holidays!

Feel free to name the company as others may benefit from this information.

We have used VHI in the past (they dont ask about health condition). Is this the only option for someone with health issues?

Here is the thing about insurance contracts, you are required to provide all relevant information, even if not asked, for the contract to be valid. The chances are if there was a big claim the insurance company might not cover it.

As someone else suggested, contact the Irish Heart Foundation and see what they suggest.

In any case, if there was an emergency I expect they would be covered by the European Health Insurance Card. I have a health condition myself and it never bothered me to seek any beyond this, when traveling in Europe.

Got holiday insurance with www.getcover.ie but declined to pay the 70 extra euro to cover the heart condition. Have vhi , the European health card and feel that's enough cover. They asked my husband questions on the phone and gave us 3 options. 1. Pay 70 extra (policy was 22.50), 2. Cancel completely or 3. Be covered but not for pre-existing conditions. This was one of the companies mentioned on the Irish heart foundation website.

Back