Advice on Workplace Bullying/Malpractice

shinzey

Pretty much all my hair fell out due to the stress that I was put under by my employer (I am a 30yr old female, my doc has corroborated the cause). They forced me to work till 2/3/4am over a number of weeks, giving me repeated impossible deadlines. This was due to the fact that I was not provided with the materials I required to meet a deadline, despite asking for them over and over again for months from both my bosses. When it came to the crunch, they both blamed the other, but I was the one who suffered because they refused to move the deadline. I told them I was off sick because my hair was falling out and I am suffering from chronic back pain (also caused by stress) and they just asked me to work from home.
Anyway, my 12 month contract finished and I asked them to remove the below passage if I were to sign a new contract with them, but they refused. They offered me "contract work" instead, with no contract. Which was essentially a bit of work from home until they found someone cheaper. (I researched and found that it was not possible to circumvent EU/State law with contract law)
Your normal hours of work will be 9 am to 5:30 pm Monday to Friday, with one hour for lunch each day. However you will be expected to work appropriate hours in order to fully carry out your responsibilities. Due to the nature of your position, this may include evening or weekend work where necessary, in addition to International travel. You will not be entitled to any additional salary in respect of any such additional hours of work. You hereby acknowledge, by accepting this 12 month contract role Part II of the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 shall not apply to your employment under this contract

While I was there, my boss fired/pushed out 10 out of the 13 people that I worked with. He is a bully and I stupidly thought that he would never get to me, but alas.

Does anyone know if I could take a case against the employer?

P.S. I was also asked to falsify employee clock-in records when the Employments Rights Commission were called in to the company.

Pretty much all my hair fell out due to the stress that I was put under by my employer (I am a 30yr old female, my doc has corroborated the cause). They forced me to work till 2/3/4am over a number of weeks, giving me repeated impossible deadlines. This was due to the fact that I was not provided with the materials I required to meet a deadline, despite asking for them over and over again for months from both my bosses. When it came to the crunch, they both blamed the other, but I was the one who suffered because they refused to move the deadline. I told them I was off sick because my hair was falling out and I am suffering from chronic back pain (also caused by stress) and they just asked me to work from home.
Anyway, my 12 month contract finished and I asked them to remove the below passage if I were to sign a new contract with them, but they refused. They offered me "contract work" instead, with no contract. Which was essentially a bit of work from home until they found someone cheaper. (I researched and found that it was not possible to circumvent EU/State law with contract law)

While I was there, my boss fired/pushed out 10 out of the 13 people that I worked with. He is a bully and I stupidly thought that he would never get to me, but alas.

Does anyone know if I could take a case against the employer?

P.S. I was also asked to falsify employee clock-in records when the Employments Rights Commission were called in to the company.

That clause is meaningless in a contract so by the sounds of it, you would have a case. Get some proper advice and stop stressing (hard I know). Nothing is worth getting that ill over.

I'm pretty sure that as a general principle, you can't sign away your legal rights under employment law, and it is pretty foolish of them to present a contract like this.

But you probably need to get professional advice. If you're not a union member, try contacting your local FLAC centre for advice, or engage a solicitor.

Back