Flight cancelled aer lingus

Harry31

Son's flight to London at 4.00 pm cancelled yesterday due to "technical difficulties" plane from London didn't leave so no plane available in Cork. They had onward flights to Dubai & Sydney. They queued up & were told they could probably get the 9.30 pm flight to London but that their follow on flights would be the next day & they could not book an hotel for them, but they could book one themselves & "try to claim costs back".
That wasn't any good for them, as they knew the passengers who couldn't get out of London would also be looking for hotels, so they decided to wait until today & all their flights changed to 24hrs later. They did get an €8 meal voucher (after they had already eaten). Hopefully they will get away today & their other flights will go okay. What I wanted to know is are they entitled to any compensation? I see aer lingus have an application form but is compensation not standard when flights cancelled?

It's anything but standard. Compensation with regard to missed flights etc is very complicated. Reading your story, I would imagine that they are entitled to compensation but I assume both legs were on the one ticket and not booked seperately. If they were on the one ticket, Aer Lingus would be held responsible for the delay in getting to the FINAL destination and would therefore be liable for compensation. I think the compensation level would be about €600 as there was a delay of over 24 in reaching your destination. You may need to prepare to fight though.

See what your travel insurance will cover as well.

Sunny - Many thanks for the information I'll pass it on to them -it's worth a try. It was hard enough saying goodbye to them once without having to do it all again today! But at least we had one more night with them.

There are a number of websites that help with flight compensation now, if you dont mind sharing the compensation with them.:)

I have a few colleagues who have used this site before and have been sucessful in claiming compensation.

[broken link removed]

Back