Should I stay in teaching or should I go?

Excellent idea. It's a fairly standard approach is any kind of professional training environment, so I always wondered why teachers/schools don't do more of it.

Is it anyway common? Do you find many of your peers doing the same thing?

No. I suspect that it's unique in my college - this is evidence based as i asked my students (I teach more than half of the entire student population) if they were provided with this opportunity elsewhere. Nobody in my college knows that I do this (apart from the students).

I am used to evaluations as I have had very good experience in teaching teachers for educational bodies and also one industry involved in education. (I doubt anybody in my college knows this either and here I am confessing all on a public discussion board :) )

The college does a general evaluation.

Marion

No. I suspect that it's unique in my college - this is evidence based as i asked my students (I teach more than half of the entire student population) if they were provided with this opportunity elsewhere. Nobody in my college knows that I do this (apart from the students).

I am used to evaluations as I have had very good experience in teaching teachers for educational bodies and also one industry involved in education. (I doubt anybody in my college knows this either and here I am confessing all on a public discussion board :) )

The college does a general evaluation.

Marion

Thanks for the clarification, and congrats on the innovative approach - pity others don't take it on also.

Thanks for the clarification, and congrats on the innovative approach - pity others don't take it on also.

+1 superb idea.
I doubt too many managers in businesses or other organisations (private or public) would be willing to put themselves under such scrutiny voluntarily!

Further Education will be big business in the future. I would recommend it for students.

And yet the vast majority of young lecturers I know in third level institutions have exactly the same problem as recently qualified second level teachers - part time hours often timetabled so securing supplementary employment is not practical, no summer pay, insufficient remuneration for the prep and assessment time involved outside contact hours, no security of tenure, no pension entitlement and yet subject to the pension levy.

"I would recommend it for students".

I meant the students taking the Fetac courses. 400 CAO points available if they achieve 8 distinctions at Fetac 5 in the programmes - 80% plus. Typically they take 9 or 10 programmes. It definitely prepares them for progression to Level 6 in FET Centres, IT colleges or Universities.

Marion

Back