3G iPhone/O2 alternatives

Z

z103

I was going to get an iPhone from O2. However, after this;
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=92756
I'll be moving away from O2.

I can either get an unlocked iPhone from Orange France for €500, and it still might be country locked.
or
I can get a jailbroken iPhone from ebay, which may be dodgy.
or
A different phone that's like the iPhone.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? or know of any other phones that are like the iPhone?

I was going to get an iPhone from O2. However, after this;
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=92756
I'll be moving away from O2.

I can either get an unlocked iPhone from Orange France for €500, and it still might be country locked.
or
I can get a jailbroken iPhone from ebay, which may be dodgy.
or
A different phone that's like the iPhone.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? or know of any other phones that are like the iPhone?

What features drew you to the iPhone in the first place?

It was actually the iTouch that I was using.
I loved the internet browsing and Wifi facility.

I was thinking it would be great to have that as well as a phone and maybe GPS in one device.

(Maybe I should just get an iTouch and save myself €€€s)

I was thinking it would be great to have that as well as a phone and maybe GPS in one device.
It really does depend on what you intend on using it for and what your priorities are... but it might be worth having a look at the Nokia E51 or Samsung Tocco.

The E51 is more of a 'business' phone, but the WiFi makes it a winner for a lot of 'non business' users.
[I've only recently picked one up, but so far very impressed with it. Fairly painless to set up all the web/mail functions and super handy.]

The Tocco is a touch phone (similiar to the iPhone), with the focus far more on the entertainment (camera, music, etc.). If it's the look/feel your going for (rather than the functionality of the WiFi) it might suit your needs.

I'd recommend the Samsung Omnia SGH-i900, friend had one and says its way better than iPhone, look it up on utube to compare to the iPhone if you like, O2 are ripping people off i think

(Maybe I should just get an iTouch and save myself €€€s)

The iphone probably has the best browser and user interface for browsing the web. But its one of the worst phones, and GPS isn't accurate. So I guess you have decide whats your priority and what you can compromise on. The iPhone on O2 has a decent data package (for Ireland). So thats also a factor. A Blackberry + Blackberry tarriff might be an alternative.

The iphone probably has the best browser and user interface for browsing the web. But its one of the worst phones, and GPS isn't accurate. So I guess you have decide whats your priority and what you can compromise on. The iPhone on O2 has a decent data package (for Ireland). So thats also a factor. A Blackberry + Blackberry tarriff might be an alternative.

It's 3G rather than HSDPA though right? They were quoting it as being 3 times faster for downloading than the original iPhone - wich is pretty poor. The O2 data package is poor versus the UK, or any other market.

Plus last I heard O2 have minimal stock for Ireland anyway.

Maybe this is why?

At the end of the day you're in Ireland. What you can get in other countries isn't any use to you.

Maybe this is why?

At the end of the day you're in Ireland. What you can get in other countries isn't any use to you.

No, but it is a reason to go looking for an unlocked one, or an alternative device. You can't even get one directly in Ireland, so the O2 price & tariff is academic.

Anyone know how long the iPhone exclusivity deal between Apple and O2 lasts?

No, but it is a reason to go looking for an unlocked one, or an alternative device. You can't even get one directly in Ireland, so the O2 price & tariff is academic.

Anyone know how long the iPhone exclusivity deal between Apple and O2 lasts?

Ok, I don't keep up to date with thes. But say once you've bought a different device, unlocked iPhone, what data tariffs are better than the O2 ones

Ok, I don't keep up to date with thes. But say once you've bought a different device, unlocked iPhone, what data tariffs are better than the O2 ones

All 3 of the O2 iPhone tariffs (€45, €65, €100) include 1GB of data in the price.

3 Mobile offer a 1GB 'Add-On' for €9.99, or a 10 Gb one for €19.99 (aimed at using phone as modem, but should also support standard phone surfing).

I haven't done a full like for like comparison, but certainly the iPhone tariff doesn't allow carry over of unused minutes & texts, or carry over from the initial upgrade.

Well for take one example

With O2 its €45 for 175 mins (any number) 100 texts and 1GB.

With 3 its 29 + 9.99 so €40 for 150 mins any number), 1GB and no texts.

I assume theres no roll of minutes and no text because its not obvious from the 3 website. Maybe you could clarify.
I'm not saying 02 is cheaper just that its not bad compared to what else is in the Irish market. Not sure if theres VAT on those prices either.

Well for take one example

With O2 its €45 for 175 mins (any number) 100 texts and 1GB.

With 3 its 29 + 9.99 so €40 for 150 mins any number), 1GB and no texts.

I assume theres no roll of minutes and no text because its not obvious from the 3 website. Maybe you could clarify.
I'm not saying 02 is cheaper just that its not bad compared to what else is in the Irish market. Not sure if theres VAT on those prices either.

I only used 3 as an example - I'm not a customer, so as I say I don't know the full ins and outs.

As you say, the prices aren't that different but others offer more flexibility. Cheapest iPhone tariff is €45 regardless of whether I want 10 mins call time or 50. Cheapest with 3 operator (as an example) would be €30 - €20 for calls/texts & €10 for data. Yes, less calls/texts - but is that a problem? Not for me.

Personally I want the flexibility - I have a Blackberry and my employer allows a certain level of 'credit', and my personal phone is on the cheapest pay monthly as a result. If I got an iPhone I wouldn't get value for money paying €45 per month - it would be more than my current mobile & broadband combined. Plus my current tariff allows carry over etc.

But that shouldn't preclude me from getting an iPhone, so an unlocked one on my existing tariff is the solution - or wait till the exclusivity deal ends.

Blackberry storm
[broken link removed]

Looks promising. I bet it'll be ultra expensive as well.

My point is theres isn't a vast gulf between these plans and are actually cheaper than plans in direct competition with them in Ireland. If you want a very different plan, which is just primary for internet use, with practically no calls and text, then thats a different comparision. You could go to a €20 O2 plan and add data to that.

But I guess O2 figure that someone who wants to blow a few hundred on a iPhone, isn't going to be someone who is worried about spending €20 a month on a phone bill. Or those that were in that profile were so few it wasn't worth pitching a specific plan for. So the plans were pitched accordingly.

A portable WiFi HSDPA router, and an iTouch would be neat.

My point is theres isn't a vast gulf between these plans and are actually cheaper than plans in direct competition with them in Ireland. If you want a very different plan, which is just primary for internet use, with practically no calls and text, then thats a different comparision. You could go to a €20 O2 plan and add data to that.

But if you want an O2 iPhone you have to go for the iPhone tariffs, so there is little flexibility. Plus I believe it's a minimum 18 month contract.

But I guess O2 figure that someone who wants to blow a few hundred on a iPhone, isn't going to be someone who is worried about spending €20 a month on a phone bill.

I wouldn't entirely agree on that - many other phones are a couple of hundred euros (my last one I paid €150 I think). Over the 18 month iPhone contract you will pay a minimum of €810 in tariffs, not €20 a month.

I have any number of gadgets - this is just another that happens to also be a phone. I want the phone but not the €810 that goes with it. (And no, the iPod Touch is not an acceptable compromise for me).

Or those that were in that profile were so few it wasn't worth pitching a specific plan for. So the plans were pitched accordingly.

Fair enough, but in that case there should be some compromise on unlocking for these people.

In reality the iPhone is just another phone - it should use standard tariffs, it shouldn't be seen as an opportunity to extract extra revenue from the customer beyond the standard tariffs.

Back