Contracts - What is allowed and not allowed?

cian8

Hi,

Both a general question and a specific question!

My employer has offered me a 'promotion' (questionable as to whether it is really a promotion at this stage) and I will be expected to sign a new contract.

General Question:

As long as it doesn't break employment law and is entered in to by both parties with no impairments can any conditions be placed in an employment contract?

Specific Question:

My employer wants me to agree to remain for two years or reimburse all training fees incurred. I previously signed a similar agreement as they funded a part-time Masters which I felt was well worth the 2-year lock-in. In this instance the training would largely be on product lines that are specific to the role. If I was to leave the role this training would have no value to me. Is this enforceable? Legal? Usual?

In any case I am in a good position and will not be forced to sign anything I am not happy with.

I appreciate any opinions you might have.

cian8

If the courses benefit the employer more than you, tell him you will not sign a two year clause.

When you sign clauses into contracts, you leave yourself open to employer docking wages when you leave, and you have to take case against them ... a lot of hassle

Is the training accredited? if not its not really portable and I wouldnt agree to the lock in.

Back