Relocation and pay cut - any employee rights???

Johnnyduke

Hi folksHope someone can help and offer some advice!

A friend has been working for a company for less than a year - company has been taken over and he has to move to an office in another town. He is the only employee who has to move at the moment!

He has also been told his hours are increasing and he has to take a substantial paycut as the salaries in the regional office are not as high - he can take it or leave it that's the offer.

Does he have any rights. I know paycuts have to be agreed by the employee but in reality he feels he has no choice but to agree as the alternative is to be let go! Has he any choice or basically do employers hold all the rights in this case????

Thanks

Is there a contract of employment, Has any probationary period ended and the employee confirmed as now in a full time post.

Yep, contract of employment in place at his current terms but presume employer will just get him to sign a new one!

AFAIK it was a permanent full time post from the beginning, no probationary period.....

As far as I know in employment law the first year is considered probationary even if the contract stipulates a shorter period. It came up in my office not too long ago.

As far as I know in employment law the first year is considered probationary even if the contract stipulates a shorter period. It came up in my office not too long ago.

Not totally true as far as I know. People in a company less than 12 months can't bring a claim under the unfair dismissals act. It doesn't mean they don't have rights. Claims can still be made under different Acts.

Sounds like a case for constructive dismissal could be made but better off getting proper advice.

NERA advised that with less one years service an employee cannot bring a claim against the employer

So it's basically accept new conditions or lose job I guess

Back