Plasma or Photonics Physics post-grad qualification.

Schaeler2013

Which would be the better branch of Physics to go into for a post-grad qualification i.e. Photonics Physics or Plasma Physics?

Thats is, in regards to which potentially offers more opportunities. Or might this be broadly similar?

Or what employment opportunities might each offer?

Or are there 'better' Physics fields to go into post-grad?

Below is a list of modules in each post-grad.

Photonics Physics

Solid State Physics
Growth, Processing and Characterisation
Photodetectors and Photodetection
Devices, Lasers and Amplifiers
High Speed and Integrated Photonics
Fibre Optic Communications

Plasma Physics (not all of these are compulsary)

Introductory Plasma Physics
Introductory Experimental Plasma Physics
Introductory Plasma Theory and Simulation
Plasma Short Projects
Magnetic Fusion Plasma
Laser Produced Plasmas
Low Temperature Plasmas
Astrophysical Plasma
Plasma Research Project

I would have said the first was a no-brainer from a job prospects point of view. It has applications in telecommunications, ICT, and a host of other things. Plasma physics sounds like a much more rarefied (pun intended) area -- apart from a few national fusion research efforts, ITER, and theoretical astronomy/astrophysics, none of which are huge employers comparatively speaking.

Just my opinion. (I am doing astrophysics at undergraduate level, but just for fun -- would hate to be relying on it for a job).

Many thanks dub_nerd.

Apparently in the Plasma Physics course 74% have gone on to do PhDs, and 13% had gone to work in the private sector.

74% does seem high, and I did wonder if this was because they were unable to obtain employment after graduation.

Just my opinion. (I am doing astrophysics at undergraduate level, but just for fun -- would hate to be relying on it for a job).
Can I comment on how suitable your user name is? ;)

Is the second option not applicable to material sciences, medical device coatings and particularly in semiconductor manufacture?

Can I comment on how suitable your user name is? ;)

:D

Is the second option not applicable to material sciences, medical device coatings and particularly in semiconductor manufacture?

I would think so, but I wonder how many people are actually employed designing new types of FAB for Intel and such like. (I'm just guessing here).

:D

I would think so, but I wonder how many people are actually employed designing new types of FAB for Intel and such like. (I'm just guessing here).

There's quite a bit of it actually. Intel and Tyndall in Cork spring to mind. UCD and Maynooth have planarization modules.

If we were to score your employment prospects and normalise the photonic physics as 100 then I would guess plasma physics would score 97.

For the vast majority of potential jobs out there its about the transferable skills. Doing phd research, being numerate, being comfortable coding etc. Photonics has more industrial applications now and that would give you a better chance getting into some jobs.

Back