Can Employer ask you to work during parental leave?

newhomeowner

My employer has asked me to help train my cover for a few hours. Am I legally allowed work (regardless of hours) while Im on parental leave?

I am nearly out my workplace a year.I had hoped to go back on a reduced working week after my 16 weeks unpaid leave was finished but I was denied this despite numerous attempts (offered to work 4 days over 5, asked to do it on a trial basis)

I appreciate its at the discretion of the employer but this was my second time asking (I had also been denied a reduced working week after having my first child - a few months later my old boss announced he was working a reduced working week)

I wasn't paid maternity pay by my employer.

A few hours doesn't sound like a big deal - might be a good opportunity to catch up with colleagues etc. Can you negotiate any flexibility in return?

There was no negotiation at all.It was point blank no with every suggestion I had.

You are right a couple of hours might not seem like a big deal but I already spent a couple of hours a few months back & didn't get compensated. I was on unpaid leave at the time & had to pay someone to look after my baby.

They could have had me back working 4 full days or 4 over 5 & said no.

Is it legal for me to go back at all during parental leave though? Im worried ill end up with nothing because I know with maternity leave they categorically say you cannot work at all.

You can work for 10 hors per week legally when on Parental Leave. If they want another arrangement, ask them to extend the leave by the days you have remaining if this suits.

Thanks Deas, I didn't realise you could work 10 hours a week.

I will try & work something out with them.

Back