Job causing knee pain, where do I stand..

SAPFO

Now, I found this forum while searching knee pain, and it seems the right place to maybe get a few answers.

I work in vehicle manufacture in the UK. It is a fast paced job, and involes me swinging a heavy assistor with a vehicle part attached, approx weight 70kg. Now I know this could possibly contribute, but it is not this that seems to be my problem.

In the last 12+ months my job changed regarding how I load my parts. There is a sticker that I have to scan that is positioned out of my normal reach (I am 6 2" by the way) This requires me to lean, and over extend my knees. Now I have been asking for this to be corrected for 12+ months, and when corrected it only ever lasts a day, then it is back to being out of reach, and again over extending. The last few weeks I have started to notice a weird feeling in my knees, no pain as such, just a weakening feeling if you understand, and also aching. It feels as though the padding under my patella is worn. I am no expert here, just trying to describe as best as I can.

The solution to this problem is the sticker move into a more reachable position, but my concerns just seem to circulate forever. Now, I am a fit, healthy 6 2" 31 year old man with no previous other than superficial wounds from a motorbike accident 2 years ago.

I am not scared to speak my mind, but in my fast paced environment it is hard to get things done right now. How can I force the issue. It is clearly not acceptable to hyper-extend your knee/s 300 times per shift without some form of risk assessment surely?

Thank you for reading.

Ask your EHS (Environmental1, Health & Safety) person to do a Job Risk Assessment. Think the word ergonomics...

You should be able to have this flagged for risk assesment by occupational health. Please note, this is an Irish site, so people would only be aware of what should or would happen based on Irish employment / occupational health and safety law/ policy.

Back