Lodging a cheque made out to "Cash"

europhile

I recently lodged a cheque to the joint account of my husband and myself which was made out to Cash. The cheque was written from my husband's personal current account. It was returned to us and we were told we could not lodge a cheque made out to Cash. Is this a new thing?

I lodge cash cheques all the time .Including yesterday in AIB in Raheny so unless its a new rule I would follow it up with an inquiry .

Don't know where I got this from, but I thought that "cash" cheques were stopped c. 12 months ago - I bank with UB

I recently lodged a cheque to the joint account of my husband and myself which was made out to Cash. The cheque was written from my husband's personal current account. It was returned to us and we were told we could not lodge a cheque made out to Cash. Is this a new thing?

My understanding is that once a cheque made payable to "cash" has sufficient funds in the account to meet it, it has to be cashed. It doesn't even have to be endorsed nor can a "stop" be put on it.
I would have thought that if you were lodging it to another account in a different bank than the drawers bank you would have to endorse it.
If both accounts were in the same bank then it would be easy for your bank to check to see if there were "cash" funds to meet it and let the transaction continue.

Either way they treated you pretty awful by returning it unpaid. I would chase it up.

If the cheque was crossed "ac payee only" then technically speaking the bank were right to return it as such cheque should only be lodged to an account in the payees name, (which in this case was cash)

I'm not clear from your post if the cheque bounced or if they simply refused to accept it. Cheques payable to cash can be bounced if the fundas aren't there to meet it or for technical reasons such as out of date

It didn't bounce; they just refused to accept it. It was neither crossed nor out of date and there were funds to meet it.

I went into Bank of Ireland the following day and asked if I could lodge it to my account and they said "No bother". I asked if they were sure as it was made out to Cash and they said "Of course, whyever not?".

Back